kia forte forums   kia forte forum
  1. Interested in the upcoming 365hp Kia Stinger? Thought so! CLICK HERE for our sister community...
    Dismiss Notice

p225/45/r17 vs p225/50r16

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tires and Exterior Modifications' started by nuthin.fancy64, Mar 11, 2012.

1. nuthin.fancy64

nuthin.fancy64 New Member

I'm wanting a little smoother ride so I was thinking of changing my factory 17x7 wheels that came with 215/45/17 & replacing with 16x7 rims & 225/50/16 tires, a little more tire between the rim & ground makes a difference in the ride. Any opinions &/or thoughts? I know people love that low profile tire but you do sacrifice some comfort/smoother & a little softer as well as quieter ride, I'd rather have a smoother, softer & quieter ride on a 50 series versus the 45 series, again any thoughts guys? Am I crazy or does this make any sense?

2. ItsaRuck!

ItsaRuck! Member

According to this tire size comparison calculator: http://www.wedgeracing.com/tire_size_comparator.htm

The 230/50R16 is a closer match.

3. nuthin.fancy64

I'm a little confused at what the chart is suppose to be telling me, sorry for my ignorance on this matter. I was just thinking that a 50 series tire at 16" would give me a smoother, softer & a little quieter ride than the factory 215/45/17 I was thinking the 50 series profile @ 16" would make up the speedometer difference from a 45 series @ 17" maybe I'm way off that's what I was trying to get opinons on. Thanks

4. ItsaRuck!

ItsaRuck! Member

The 215 on your OE tire is the width in millimeters. The 45 is a percentage of the width that makes up the sidewall height. So in order to keep your speedometer accurate, you must play with the width and percentage to keep it accurate. So in order to keep that sidewall large enough, you must increase the width so the 50 will be enough to keep the rotation speed the same as the OE. You could also stay with a 215 tire but go with a 60. You could even do a 205/55/16. When using the calculator click on the "Graph:" menu near the bottom. Then with the OE size set, click on "Upgrade Tire" and start playing with sizes to keep the red and black lines as close as possible.

5. nuthin.fancy64

okay I got it now, thanks. It appears the perfect tire size would be a 220/50/16 but I never seen a 220 but the size I really wanted which is 225/50/16 is soooo close to been perfect, so I think that will work, I want a little wider tire than the factory 215. So you have any opinions on the ride quality being any better so far as a smoother, softer ride with a 50 series versus a 45 series? Thanks for your help :eek:)

6. ItsaRuck!

ItsaRuck! Member

The new tire will have almost 16mm more sidewall. It should be a better ride. If you go to tirerack.com you can check out the tire ratings and get user reviews.

7. mahout

mahout New Member

225/45x17's are 24.97" in diameter; 225/50x17's are 25.85"; 225/50x16's are 24.85", and 235/45x16's are 25.25".
    As an old tire engineer I'd recommend instead 215/50x17 tires which are 25.46" in diameter. The sidewall height would increase by a quarter-inch which is considerable in improving ride comfort and you won't need new wheels. They also are a little less weight which will not affect your mpg and your speedo and odo will see only a 2% suposedly error, in other words at 60 mph the odo will read 58.8 mph, and you won't really be able to tell that.
    ps with the narrower tire your mpg may even increase. if you get a all season tire you'll find better traction in snow as well for the same tread design.
    So why didn't Kia specify the tires? Cause the target Koup pilot is a corner carver who isn't very hooked on ride quality.. I have 235/40x17's on 17x8.5 rims with 40 mm offset. My track width is then 5/8" wider and there's lots of contact patch. And ride on 40 aspect tires is not evedn mentionable.

8. mahout

mahout New Member

The ride gets softer with higher sidewalls and weaker tire sidewalls. The 215/45x17 tires are 24.62" in diameter (with a sidewall height of 3.81")while the 225/50x16 are 24.85" (the sidewalls are 4.3" high). The 225/50x16 wiill be indeed softer in ride unless you choose some high performance or truck rated tire. Its like comparing bouncing on the end of a 4 foot diving board compared to 3 feet unless you raise the tire pressure high enough to make the tire more rigid.
    The difference here in tire diameters has no real consequence; its about less than 1% change, or the larger tire will have the speedometer read 60 mph at a 60.5 actual mph on the 225/50x16. since its heavier there might be a slight decrease in mpg. But your warranty mileage is longer.
    good luck.

9. chadw1ck

chadw1ck New Member

What they said. For the money, you can't really go wrong with Proxes T1-R. Available in 225/50/16 size, this toyo tire is very sticky in dry and wet roads.