2020 KIA Forte GT

PBPod

Today my wife and I bought a blue 2020 GT DSG with the GT2 Package and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Summer Tire Package. I think this is the best "bang for the buck" on the planet when it comes to sports sedans. I have only driven it a few miles, but I am already impressed. There is nothing not to love. I would submit a picture, but it looks just like the pictures above.

We also have a 2016 Mazda MX-5 Launch Addition roadster. I am anxious to race the Mazda with the Forte, The MX-5 is a 5.8 second 0-60 car and runs in the mid 14s in the quarter and the Forte seems faster. I have done probably 90 laps on the road racecourse in the Mazda. I will take the Forte out for some laps to see how it does in the "twisty bits." If there is one option missing from the GT-2 package, its an LSD.

I think the Forte GT will be easy to get another 20 to 30 hp without going wild simply with a tune and a couple of bolt-ons. You bump up booste. I am told if you do that on these Kia/Hyundai turbo motors you need an oil catch can and a spark-plug upgrade along with premium unleaded. After we break it in might have to give it a try.

Sal Collaziano

Heavy lies the crown...
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. Congratulations on your brand new Forte GT! It sounds like you'll be looking for some high performance modifications. If you're looking for a solid bump in horsepower through boost, let me know. I have options (I'm a reseller).

I think you're right about best bang for the buck. And the new Forte just looks so good! Especially from the back... Let us know how the comparison goes with the MX-5!

PBPod

Second day with the car. I took it on a short jaunt to pick up some food and booze. Getting the hang of the paddle shifters on the 7-speed dual-clutch. Our MX-5 is a six-speed manual, which I have always enjoyed, but a stick is not the future. Today I took the GT out and put her in Sport-Mode, manual shifting with the paddles. It was very satisfying, with quick shifts both up and down the gears. It was a lot of fun. Later when I took my wife to the store I drove in normal mode and let the car handle the gear changes. As a daily-driver in stop and go traffic, it drives just like an automatic. Take it up the mountain and carve some twisty roads and you are fully in charge of gear selection. I will never buy another gas-powered vehicle without a dual-clutch transmission.

In 2011 drove grandson's first-gen NA Velocitor with a six-speed dual-clutch right after they came out. Car was so under-powered it was hard to engage with the transmission. It seemed irrelevant. For the driving experience that was revelatory, I harkened back to when a buddy had a 3.2L narrow-angle V6 Audi A3 Sportback wagon with their excellent 6-speed DSG (Direkt in German) and that transmission and motor were intoxicating. That driving experience was probably ten years ago and has made me yearn for an affordable car with a real motor and a twin-clutch tranny. Guess what? The Forte GT with the GT2 package may just be that car.

If the Veloster N had been available with the dual-clutch, I would have bought one. Turns out the dry-clutch transmission in the Forte GT can't handle the Veloster N's torque. So Hyundai has a wet-clutch version in development and we should see a twin-clutch N in 2021 or late in 2020. However, this car will be my wife's daily driver. I will take the fob on the weekends. For that dual role, this car is perfect.

I have had some really fast cars over the years. However, both our MX-5 and the Forte GT are both fast enough to be fun and they aren't so fast you can enjoy wringing them out in the city and don't' have to risk your driver's license or going for a ride in the back of a petrol car wearing cuffs.

Sal Collaziano

Heavy lies the crown...
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you for the update! There IS something to be said of a car that you can actually play with (hit the gas) and not have to worry about being in triple digits too quickly. It sounds like you're really appreciating what the new Forte is and does...