Air Intake Questions - Help Please

Woodgie1

Kentucky
I know there has been talk about this before but is there finally a general consensus on what Air Intake everyone is using for these Koupe Cars ?? And mine has fog lights, i have found some decent systems but they say " not for use with cars with fog lights" Anyone know of a full system, I dont like shorties, that i can use with having fog lights.

ItsaRuck!

Albuquerque, NM
I'd use the K&N. It uses the the OE intake to the filter, then the CAI filter fits inside a housing with new hosing going to the engine. This way you will get the cold air and not hot engine compartment air.

Chino Koup

Chino, Ca
Hey Rat,
I noticed your original post of your K&N set up some time ago but didn't think too much about it until I saw it on this thread and it hit me.... that it really looks good. It's got some shine to it, still looks stock and it uses the K&N too.

Now I know what to ask Santa Clause this year. oh... and I think I want the Black Pearl shift knob from TWM Perf.

Good job.

Woodgie1

Kentucky
Ratdaddy, that looks great and functional, did u build that urself or is that a kit from Spectre ???

ItsRuck!, K&N, is there a kit or are u talking bout a drop in ????[hr]
Ratdaddy, what made u use the chrome intake rather than the black wrinkle tubes, all my research says the black wrinkle tubes deflect heat better.

ItsaRuck!

Albuquerque, NM
Woodgie1 said:
Ratdaddy, that looks great and functional, did u build that urself or is that a kit from Spectre ???

ItsRuck!, K&N, is there a kit or are u talking bout a drop in ????[hr]
Ratdaddy, what made u use the chrome intake rather than the black wrinkle tubes, all my research says the black wrinkle tubes deflect heat better.
The CAI kit. And that is what Ratdaddy is showing a picture of, except the K&N kit comes standard with black tubing.

Ratdaddy

Yukon Oklahoma
I started with a small kit and added parts as needed. I didn't use wrinkle hose because the plastic has a smoother air flow and the plastic tubes don't hold heat like a metal one ..

Here's a quick list if parts .I think i listed em all???

Upper box too Throttle Body
CAI Kit # 8208 + 1 Coupler Kit #8771 + 1 60 Elbow #8668 + coupler adapter.

Bottom Box Too Hood Intake
1 90 Degre Elbow + 1 45 Degre Elbow + 2 Couplers # 8771 + Left Over Short Pipe From CAI .You may have to cut short pipe for bottom box hook up. The short pipe will fit the bottom box intake very snugly ,but for extra play i used a coupler and adapter for a little more wiggle in the whole thing..

It's a bitch to get everything to line up. But had fun doing it ..You Might have to cut a little off of the 90 where it joins the hood intake .Just to help line up the bottom of the box..Just take your time and think it all out.
[hr]
ItsaRuck! said:
I'd use the K&N. It uses the the OE intake to the filter, then the CAI filter fits inside a housing with new hosing going to the engine. This way you will get the cold air and not hot engine compartment air.
Iv'e read on other forums where they are just adding a cone filter to the end of the factory intake. IMO they just want the noise of the intake.They don't understand how much engine power they are losing due to the amount of hot engine air there are sucking in..Also from what i have read the 2.4 was tuned for a long intake system not a short one.

My old PT Cruiser was tuned with a very short intake design .Here's a shot of it .It also sealed to the underside of the hood and drew in air from the side and fender well...

ItsaRuck!

Albuquerque, NM
Ratdaddy said:
ItsaRuck! said:
Iv'e read on other forums where they are just adding a cone filter to the end of the factory intake. IMO they just want the noise of the intake.They don't understand how much engine power they are losing due to the amount of hot engine air there are sucking in..Also from what i have read the 2.4 was tuned for a long intake system not a short one.
No, the K&N kit uses the intake to the OE filter housing. At that point a K&N housing, cone filter, and tubing to the engine replaces the OE system. The result is no hot engine compartment air. Check them out, it's pretty much the same thing you did.

Ratdaddy

Yukon Oklahoma
NOW i understand talk about thick headed..Thanks and i see what you mean..On my cruiser the airaid kit snaped onto the the bottom of the oem airbox. I wonder if K&N will fit one just for the Forte 2.4. But then would the ECU get enough cool air..

ItsaRuck!

Albuquerque, NM
Ratdaddy said:
NOW i understand talk about thick headed..Thanks and i see what you mean..On my cruiser the airaid kit snaped onto the the bottom of the oem airbox. I wonder if K&N will fit one just for the Forte 2.4. But then would the ECU get enough cool air..
It would probably be better because much of the heat would be blocked from reaching it. I know of several people that have installed them on other vehicles with ECUs right next door and have had no issues.

Woodgie1

Kentucky
I really dont want to build it myself, i dont have the time and my lovely ex-wife took my garage, sooooo ..... either of u guys have the part number for the K&N Kit ?

ItsaRuck!

Albuquerque, NM
I spoke too soon. Un-believably, K&N doesn't make a CAI kit for the Forte, yet. I went to their site and put in the car and only the drop-in and the oil filter are available. I can't believe 3 years into a model and they still don't have a CAI kit!

Woodgie1

Kentucky
OK, well i guess build it, it is. Isn't there quite a few companies that have universal intake kits that should come with all the pipes, adapters and clamps that i will need ?

ItsaRuck!

Albuquerque, NM
Woodgie1 said:
OK, well i guess build it, it is. Isn't there quite a few companies that have universal intake kits that should come with all the pipes, adapters and clamps that i will need ?
There are a few complete kits out there. Several internet sites sell them. Just do a search for "Air Intake Systems".

Jdog57

Hi everyone. I have done a lot of reading on this, and then tried an idea I saw on U-tube. First, the preceived power gains and potential mileage increase..well forget it. Not really a big factor. Do this for the sound..its FUN. The power does come when you punch it, but otherwise..not really. So I unhooked my filter box top, after dis-connecting the intake hose. Then you just have the intake hose, ready for a new filter. I bought one at an auto parts store for $25. Just clamp the big custom filter right on the end, and let it rest over the bottom half of the box. (the bottom half of the box brings in the cooler air from the front) Nice, except there's no heat shield, like the one that comes with the K&N short air intake system. Soooo, I'm going to cut the top half box, to allow for a two sided shield, open at the back, and clamp it back on. This will provide some heat sheilding, yet still allow for the big filter. Stay tuned for pics. If/when I get a replacement box top ($20) the whole design is less than $50.00, and I can easily put the old one back together for smog checks..(California) This idea is nearly identical to the K&N design, for a lot less, and easier to convert back and forth.