Better Suspension?

Rapol

My first car forte sx sweet orange, got the sx at the same cost for the ex . I live in Puerto Rico and roads here get harsh exposure to a lot of rain and hot sun. (water is the enemy of asphalt) Plus they dont get enough maintenance to keep it up. So the "sport suspension" it has its just terrible here. Plus it has the 17" rims less rubber more bumps to feel. What do you recommend to do? I dont know anything about suspension.

I would gladly change the rims to 16" black but i dont know if the chrome handles will fit the style. I hate those chrome handles... Maybe some chrome and black rims.

desert fox

Rapol said:
My first car forte sx sweet orange, got the sx at the same cost for the ex . I live in Puerto Rico and roads here get harsh exposure to a lot of rain and hot sun. (water is the enemy of asphalt) Plus they dont get enough maintenance to keep it up. So the "sport suspension" it has its just terrible here. Plus it has the 17" rims less rubber more bumps to feel. What do you recommend to do? I dont know anything about suspension.

I would gladly change the rims to 16" black but i dont know if the chrome handles will fit the style. I hate those chrome handles... Maybe some chrome and black rims.

Better go to 15 or 16 inch rims and the tyres must have more ratio...

Attachments

• 26.gif
    26.gif
    36.1 KB · Views: 347

desert fox

Rapol said:
What exactly is the ratio? P215/65

Sidewall Aspect Ratio

Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.

P225/50R16 91S

The 50 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 50% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. We know that this tire size's section width is 225mm and that its section height is 50% of 225mm. By converting the 225mm to inches (225 / 25.4 = 8.86") and multiplying it by 50% (.50) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.43". If this tire were a P225/70R16 size, our calculation would confirm that the size would result in a section height of 6.20", approximately a 1.8-inch taller sidewall.

See more for reference....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46

The higher the ratio, the better in rough road......

Usually70-75 is enough for our car.......:)

:angel:

desert fox

Just to add broRapol, you may deflate the tyres a little bit when driving in the rough rooad...(2-3 PSI)...That is if you are using high profile tyres....:angel:

Lbtre

Hello Everyone,Though individually a shock absorber and a suspension spring are pretty simple to set up, since a coilover is a combination of the two, the set up becomes more involved. This complexity is beneficial though, since now the suspension can be customized to suit different load and driving conditions. Not all coilovers make the ride more comfortable, some may in fact make it harder, but this will be to make the suspension more robust so that it can take heavier loads.

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Elizabeth, PA
Lbtre said:
Hello Everyone,Though individually a shock absorber and a suspension spring are pretty simple to set up, since a coilover is a combination of the two, the set up becomes more involved. This complexity is beneficial though, since now the suspension can be customized to suit different load and driving conditions. Not all coilovers make the ride more comfortable, some may in fact make it harder, but this will be to make the suspension more robust so that it can take heavier loads.

why was this dude banned? this is good info :)

Same issue here, SX/17" choppy ride...

Sold the 17" rims, witched to 16" rims with Yokohama Envigor 195 tires... what a change, ride got almost too soft, very quiet and still in control.
Suspension is still unrefined and disconnected at times but at least it is bearable.
Probably for me keeping the 17" rims would have been a better choice.

Cheers

Rapol said:

desert fox

my 16tyres are not so good on the rough road...and its noisy too, but due to recession, Ill just keep them until its due time...its 2years and 2 months now with me, but its still with good thread...(24k KM)