Car Alarm Question

JibbaJabba34

Anyone from Canada, more specifically London, Ontario, have any suggestions for aftermarket car alarm sales and installs? I've looked at Futureshop and Best Buy, but they are both pretty much the same and both are filled with 18 yr old installers. I'd like to know who you guys trust doing an install and possibly what types of alarm systems people have gone with on their Forte. I'm looking entry to mid level alarm systems hopefully around $300-$400 installed.

Thanks!

Jibbs

gwildor

I went to best buy once for an install on another vehicle.. and I would never do it again.. they told me the install would be 30-45 mins.. and it took them 3 1/2 hours.. and then they gave me my van back with a dead battery.

I'm sure this isn't the same with all best buys, but your right.. it's all 18 year old not being too smart..

This isn't exactly what you were looking for in feedback.. but i just wanted to give you my story.. :9

Kenny C

Lubbock, TX
gwildor said:
I went to best buy once for an install on another vehicle.. and I would never do it again.. they told me the install would be 30-45 mins.. and it took them 3 1/2 hours.. and then they gave me my van back with a dead battery.

I'm sure this isn't the same with all best buys, but your right.. it's all 18 year old not being too smart..

This isn't exactly what you were looking for in feedback.. but i just wanted to give you my story.. :9
I've heard the same about Best Buys close to me...they've also fried the PCM in a friend of mines Jeep trying to install an aftermarket Sirius kit! I'm not sure what they were doing and apparently neither were they!

Can you find an automotive electronics installer review site for your area Jibba?

JibbaJabba34

Kenny C, I've browsed online to see if I could find any reviews for this area but I'm coming up blank. I'll keep checking but if anyone from this area knows of any installers, let me know. Thanks!

Rekoup

Milwaukee
What about a dealer? You know they have manuals & probably competent mechanics. And if they screw it up and not make good on it, they will be getting a call - maybe a visit - from the zone manager :)

MAN my dealership hated visits from the zm! Well, mainly because my service manager was embezzling from the parts department.

JibbaJabba34

Good idea Rekoup. The only thing with that is they are usually limited as to what alarms they carry and they mark up the cost a lot. I don't know if I would get much of an alarm for $200-300 from the dealer.

D113

Hey Jibbs, here in the Tdot, I got a viper 5901 installed. Here's the deal though..you likely will need the chip bypass, so....

Buy an extra Key from Kia and get them to re-program all 3 at the same time. You will need to give the key to the installer so they can fit it in the bypass unit and bury it in your car. (This may be the case only for remote start, but you might as well get that done at the same time) The 5901 is amazing at remote start! I started my car from my friends balcony 30 floors up...AND... on the opposite side of the building =)

We gotta meet up sometime! Let me know if you feel like coming to Toronto or you'd wanna meet half way!

LED work starts tomorrow!

[/quote]

Rekoup

Milwaukee
Wow, D113 :) thats very cool.

and JJ, yeah I keep forgetting that dealerships charge about $800 an hour labor now. Plus they put in junk sometimes, too.

JibbaJabba34

D113 said:
Hey Jibbs, here in the Tdot, I got a viper 5901 installed. Here's the deal though..you likely will need the chip bypass, so....

Buy an extra Key from Kia and get them to re-program all 3 at the same time. You will need to give the key to the installer so they can fit it in the bypass unit and bury it in your car. (This may be the case only for remote start, but you might as well get that done at the same time) The 5901 is amazing at remote start! I started my car from my friends balcony 30 floors up...AND... on the opposite side of the building =)

We gotta meet up sometime! Let me know if you feel like coming to Toronto or you'd wanna meet half way!

LED work starts tomorrow!
[/quote]

Thanks for the info D113. I don't think I'll get the remote start, just the alarm. I'm considering the Viper 5601, but it's both a starter and alarm, just less expensive. I could ask them to only install the alarm feature, which would save the whole extra key/bypass issue.

I'd be up for a Kia Forte meetup sometime in the Toronto area, but probably not this winter as work has me swamped lately. We'll have to get a thread together for a Toronto Forte meetup.

Rez

Hopyfully by the time this Forte meet happens, I'll be moved back to Toronto so I am able to join you guys.

D113

Thanks for the info D113. I don't think I'll get the remote start, just the alarm. I'm considering the Viper 5601, but it's both a starter and alarm, just less expensive. I could ask them to only install the alarm feature, which would save the whole extra key/bypass issue.

I'd be up for a Kia Forte meetup sometime in the Toronto area, but probably not this winter as work has me swamped lately. We'll have to get a thread together for a Toronto Forte meetup.
[/quote]

I have a thread up on the busier "forte forums dot com"

Again, not sure if you need the key for the alarm too.. best to ask.

JibbaJabba34

I went to a few shops yesterday (Best Buy, Futureshop and an independent shop) and looked at a few different options.

Best Buy has the Viper 3105VC 1 way alarm for $199 installed (plus $50 for keyless entry). Not a bad alarm for the price but I'm not thrilled about going to BB to have the install done.

FutureShop has a Viper 5900 for $250 installed with another $50 for keyless entry, same issue getting installation by an 18 yr old.

Motron has a good rep for installation but they only deal with AutoStart alarm systems. The entry level one he quoted me was for $300 installed and wasn't as solid an alarm as the Vipers.

I was talking to a friend and they recommended another place to me called All Electronic Solutions here in London. I'll check them out and see what they have. So far, I think that I may break down and go with Best Buy as they have the best alarm for the price. Hopefully this other place will have a good installer, good product and good price. Fingers crossed.

JibbaJabba34

Ok, so I am going with my buddy's suggestion. Really good installer but he only deals with Ultra Start alarms. I've looked them up and they are as good as any of the Vipers, etc, but are a better price. He is going with the 4 channel 1 way alarm only (no remote start) installed with keyless entry for $200. Good installer, good product, good price. Covers all of it. He can also do the install this Saturday, which is 2 weeks earlier than Best Buy or FutureShop.

D113

Hey Jibbs, guess you didnt get my PM...no worries though..and I verified you don't need a spare key for just alarm and keyless.

Cheers
D

JibbaJabba34

D113 said:
Hey Jibbs, guess you didnt get my PM...no worries though..and I verified you don't need a spare key for just alarm and keyless.

Cheers
D
Thanks Darryl. Ya, I got it, but not until after I booked the install of the new alarm. I appreciate you checking into it for me though.

Cheers!

JibbaJabba34

Booked my appointment for my stereo install for tomorrow. I'm going with Ultra Start's U450-Pro alarm. It's entry level but has all of the features that I want and is better than most entry level systems.

Here is the company's catalog link:

http://www.ultrastarters.com/Feature_Sheets/CATALOG/ULTRA_PRO_CATALOG_2008_web.pdf

I don't want/need the starter (much more expensive on a manual and more hassle to set it everytime) so I'm just going with the basic alarm system.

JibbaJabba34

Installed. I'm very happy with the alarm and the work done. The installer said that the Forte's wiring was very easy to work with and that there were no surprises during the installation. Since my car is a manual transmission, the Ultra Start remote starter/alarm systems that he had were not compatible. They were all "automatic transmission only" models and I found out what the steps were to prepare a manual transmission for remote start and decided to go with the alarm-only model.

Even though my alarm was the entry-level model with no remote start (U450-Pro), the features of it and the key-fobs were all similar to what you would get on a much more expensive mid-level Viper alarm. All in, I paid $210 (Canadian) for the alarm installed with taxes. It took him 2 hours to install it but part of it was because he had never worked on a Forte before and had to refer to the wiring manual on it. I would recommend the Ultra Start line of alarms/starters.

JibbaJabba34

Well, even though it's an entry-level alarm, it still has the following features:

- Dual Stage Shock sensor - if the car is hit but not hard enough to break a window, it has let's off a chirp to warn people that it's armed, if it's hit harder the full siren goes off
- Door lock/unlock, trunk release
- Can adjust the sensitivity of the sensor by using the remote key fob
- Car find button
- Silent arm/disarm on remote key fob
- Really nice key fob remotes
- Good range on remote - 1500 ft

Those are the features that I like and a lot of entry-level alarms (under $200) are missing a few of these features. I'm pretty impressed considering it was bought and installed for $210 all in.