Custom Button Backlighting

davini

Is there a way to change the color of the button backlighting?

I know red helps to preserve night-vision, but if i could change the colors of my buttons and knobs, I would jump at the chance.

I was also thinking of swapping my clock for an Elantra clock (it's a really nice Blue) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas if this would even be possible.

any help is greatly appreciated!

davini

I would think that it would be as simple as replacing the LED bulbs behind the buttons, right? the font is white, which means the color must come from a bulb or a filter behind the button... I just don't want to take apart my dashboard just to see what's inside. oh well, I can live with the red... I just wish it were blue... or white... or orange... or green... or yellow... wait, no, not yellow...

davini

ah, I see. That's a bummer. Oh well. Maybe someone will make replacement boards with customs colors... i hope, i hope, i hope. :)

Michael77346

Houston, Tx
I know I was doing research for my sister's scion and all of their buttons are white with orange SMD LEDs attached to the circut board. So if you wanted to, you could simply replace them. I'd imagine it'd be the same for Kia.

davini

hmmm, the only problem with replacing LEDs is that one LED is like $1.60 - $4.50, which means, if each button has it's own LED, that would be like, 40 buttons(?), which could get a bit pricey... and, I'd have to open the dashboard to find out what type of LEDs I would need, something I don't want to do as it will void the warranty.

Maybe after my warranty expires I'll open up the dashboard and poke around a bit. (Got my EX in Feb., and I already have more than 10,000 miles on it... at that rate, the warranty will expire around December or January).

I'm a bit out-of-the-loop in terms of circuit board components, how are surface mounted LEDs mounted? clips? solder? epoxy? Michael77346, did you end up switching out the Scion's LEDs? If so, on a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult was the process as a whole? (opening up the dash, finding the correct components, switching the LEDs, reinstallation, testing, etc.)

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Elizabeth, PA
davini said:
hmmm, the only problem with replacing LEDs is that one LED is like $1.60 - $4.50, which means, if each button has it's own LED, that would be like, 40 buttons(?), which could get a bit pricey... and, I'd have to open the dashboard to find out what type of LEDs I would need, something I don't want to do as it will void the warranty.

Maybe after my warranty expires I'll open up the dashboard and poke around a bit. (Got my EX in Feb., and I already have more than 10,000 miles on it... at that rate, the warranty will expire around December or January).

I'm a bit out-of-the-loop in terms of circuit board components, how are surface mounted LEDs mounted? clips? solder? epoxy? Michael77346, did you end up switching out the Scion's LEDs? If so, on a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult was the process as a whole? (opening up the dash, finding the correct components, switching the LEDs, reinstallation, testing, etc.)
they are usually in the board...

MFury

I have seen usually surface mounted low profile led's which are just soldered on but very small to work with. Need some very steady hands and tools and magnified lighted lens.

Kenny C

Lubbock, TX
Most are soldered in, but GMs are plug in. Not sure about Kia's, but would assume solder.

Side note: My wifes Lincoln MKx has a button in the cup holder area that lets you cycle through 6 or 7 different colors for all of the lights. Pretty sweet.

davini

BlueOval cars with Sync have that option... it's why I went and test drove a focus... wasn't enough of a reason to buy one, though. Had a lot of cool gadgets, but the car itself seemed too cheap, and the engine struggled on the freeway on-ramp.

I hope someone will make an after-market circuit board with changing colors... or maybe Kia will develop one for the 2012 or 2013 model that will be backwards compatible... lol.

davini

the one I test drove rattled too much... and I couldn't get comfortable in the seat.

The Forte sedan is almost identical in size to my old 2001 Jetta, so when I sat in the Forte for the 1st time, it fit like a glove. I feel very comfortable in my car... I just wish I had blue buttons... or green... or purple...

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Elizabeth, PA
davini said:
the one I test drove rattled too much... and I couldn't get comfortable in the seat.

The Forte sedan is almost identical in size to my old 2001 Jetta, so when I sat in the Forte for the 1st time, it fit like a glove. I feel very comfortable in my car... I just wish I had blue buttons... or green... or purple...
... or any color OTHER than red? i'd personally like orange...

however, the red DOES match my paint.... hmmm...

davini

anything but red... orange would be... okay... too BMW, though, you know? A mixture of white and blue and purple buttons would be awesome. I have a lighter-plug/USB adapter that has a BLUE status light and it looks so cool reflecting off the white napkins I store in the pocket. hahaha. Now if only I could get the rest of the car to match... lol.

I'm gonna have to see if the blue clock from the Elantra will plug into the Forte...

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Elizabeth, PA
davini said:
anything but red... orange would be... okay... too BMW, though, you know? A mixture of white and blue and purple buttons would be awesome. I have a lighter-plug/USB adapter that has a BLUE status light and it looks so cool reflecting off the white napkins I store in the pocket. hahaha. Now if only I could get the rest of the car to match... lol.

I'm gonna have to see if the blue clock from the Elantra will plug into the Forte...
if it does, let me know, id really like that too lol

as for orange, i've only seen it in a couple Mazdas lol

davini

oh yah, my gf's sister's Mazda3 is orange...

The only reason why it's such a big deal to me is because when I ride in my gf's TSX, the buttons are white and it looks so sharp, you know?

I'll have to get the schematics for the dash to see exactly what I'm up against. lol.

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Elizabeth, PA
davini said:
oh yah, my gf's sister's Mazda3 is orange...

The only reason why it's such a big deal to me is because when I ride in my gf's TSX, the buttons are white and it looks so sharp, you know?

I'll have to get the schematics for the dash to see exactly what I'm up against. lol.
you talk of this TSX so much im beginning to think you actually wanted one of them :p jkjk