Forte dock connection glitch with iPhone

xrxdudexrx

I bought my 2011 Kia Forte several months ago and have experienced continual issues with connecting my iPhone 4 through the KIA factory dock connector. While my iPhone is connected, the audio unit will start whistling randomly while driving, will reboot, or will switch into bluetooth and start altering bluetooth settings without prompting (such as language or pairing). This occurs only while the iphone is connected and while driving, whether during bluetooth calls, radio use, or iphone music use. I've taken the car in for service several times over the past for months to resolve this which is included a swap to a completely new audio unit with no change. The KIA company has now told me the car is only intended for iPods and was never intended for use with iPhones (despite the irony that the iPod touch is that same operating platform). This also has occured with my girlfriends iPhone 4S. Has anyone else experienced this issue or similar problems with any devices? KIA has told me that I should just use the bluetooth (which sounds horrible by comparison) and that they have no responsibility for this problem and will not correct it.

Smudgey

Hey xrxrdudexrx,

Have you tried turning the iPhone's bluetooth off before plugging it in? Do you ABSOLUTELY make sure that your iPhone is not plugged in before you start the car? (the manual warns against having anything plugged in the 12v and aux jack outlets during start-up and shut-down). I also have an iPhone 4S but don't have the factory cable and as such only use the Bluetooth connectivity with no issues.

While it might seem strange, I somewhat agree with the dealer. The aux jack was designed to accept simple iPods and MP3 players, not something with the power and connectivity of the iPhone - I would assume that the system is probably just struggling to find your songs!

xrxdudexrx

Smudgey— I do not plug the iphone in until after starting the car. I can use bluetooth without issues but you'll find that the sound quality is much worse by comparison and you lose the functionality of a hands free control of music. It seems more complex than a mere snag in finding song files because the audio unit will do very odd things such as reboot, change settings in bluetooth, etc. What is most odd to me is that I confirmed with Apple that the iPod Touch runs the exact same operating system as the iPhones, so I can't understand why now KIA claims it's functional with iPod Touch and not iPhone. Here's a youtube video clip of one example of what occurs: http://youtu.be/qWOkkbhS8oo

ItsaRuck!

Albuquerque, NM
The same operating system does not always extend to how a device communicates with something else. Just because a computer has Win7 and is connected to a printer that is Windows compatiple; doesn't mean the printer drivers are up to date enough to make it work. It could be the same situation with your Ipod.

Forte5

xrxdudexrx said:
While my iPhone is connected, the audio unit will start whistling randomly while driving, will reboot, or will switch into bluetooth and start altering bluetooth settings without prompting (such as language or pairing). This occurs only while the iphone is connected and while driving, whether during bluetooth calls, radio use, or iphone music use.
I was originally frustrated that the bluetooth connection would drop/reconnect without warning and I would miss calls during the day; but now this exact problem has started as well. Except even after I disconnect the iPhone, the radio/CD/SAT doesn't work. I am able to change the source but nothing works until I turn off the car and restart it.

Additionally the whistling cant be shut off. Turning off the radio only stops it for the moment. The only thing you can do is to unplug the iPhone.

to Smudgey: " While it might seem strange, I somewhat agree with the dealer. The aux jack was designed to accept simple iPods and MP3 players, not something with the power and connectivity of the iPhone - I would assume that the system is probably just struggling to find your songs!"

My iPhone has no songs on it yet. I strictly use the KIA connector to charge my phone. I disagree the dealer was the one who also sold it to me telling me it was compatible, therefore it is their fault if it doesn't work as advertised.

Smudgey

Forte5 said:
xrxdudexrx said:
While my iPhone is connected, the audio unit will start whistling randomly while driving, will reboot, or will switch into bluetooth and start altering bluetooth settings without prompting (such as language or pairing). This occurs only while the iphone is connected and while driving, whether during bluetooth calls, radio use, or iphone music use.
I was originally frustrated that the bluetooth connection would drop/reconnect without warning and I would miss calls during the day; but now this exact problem has started as well. Except even after I disconnect the iPhone, the radio/CD/SAT doesn't work. I am able to change the source but nothing works until I turn off the car and restart it.

Additionally the whistling cant be shut off. Turning off the radio only stops it for the moment. The only thing you can do is to unplug the iPhone.

to Smudgey: " While it might seem strange, I somewhat agree with the dealer. The aux jack was designed to accept simple iPods and MP3 players, not something with the power and connectivity of the iPhone - I would assume that the system is probably just struggling to find your songs!"

My iPhone has no songs on it yet. I strictly use the KIA connector to charge my phone. I disagree the dealer was the one who also sold it to me telling me it was compatible, therefore it is their fault if it doesn't work as advertised.
If the dealer told you it would work then I absolutely agree with you - hopefully you have something in writing illustrating their claim? I was under the impression that the cable was included with the car new. I have not have any problems but I only ever use my iPhone over bluetooth and for calling, not music playback, so I am no expert on the subject.

xrxdudexrx

Forte5 said:
xrxdudexrx said:

Thanks for the added input Forte5, I'm somewhat glad to know I'm not alone in having such issues. In my last visit to the Santa Rosa KIA dealership I was told that KIA of America has told the dealership that iPhones are not compatible, only iPods. So to prove this discretion was ridiculous I got an iPod touch and replicated the glitch and brought it into the dealership while glitching to prove iPods are no different. The glitch is not consistently occurring during every use which makes it difficult for the dealership to replicate and address. The audio unit in my car was already replaced once and is getting replaced again soon when another comes in but so far it appears the glitch is not a mere defect in an individual audio unit. The dealership has replaced my ipod cord with a new one today to check if that is the source, I'll update what is determined after testing it for a few days. Here is a link to a video illustrating the glitches with an iPod Touch: http://youtu.be/I4lZSEQ2A1g

Forte5

The dealership has replaced my ipod cord with a new one today to check if that is the source, I'll update what is determined after testing it for a few days. Here is a link to a video illustrating the glitches with an iPod Touch: http://youtu.be/I4lZSEQ2A1g
[/quote]

Any Update? I took about 15 minutes of video for my dealer and all I got back was a we need to replicate the situation here at the dealer.. Like you said it is not predictable, but does continue to happen at least once a week.

Still haven't been able to get them to refund me for the "iPhone Cable". I guess, I might have better luck asking for two free oil changes.