horn not working?

has anyone else ever had random times that the horn doesn't work?

mine was working yesterday when i pushed it, and it worked today when i locked the car...but when i got home and hit the lock button twice there was no beep. so i got back in and hit the horn and nothing....i can hear the relay clicking, but the horn doesn't "engage". i let the car sit for 5 hours, and now it works. weird????

I installed a new air horn last week, had no problems until 2 days ago when it wouldn't work at all. The first thing I checked was to make sure the wiring didn't come loose. Next step was to find a fuse. Being that there are 2 fuse boxes, one by the drivers door and the other just behind the battery in the engine bay. The horn relay is in the engine bay fuse box. Pulled that and swapped in a different one, still nothing. There is also a separate 10amp Horn fuse in the engine bay fuse box (which I missed at first) which had blown. I replaced it with another 10amp fuse and the next day it blew out. I then replaced it with a 15amp fuse and haven't had any problems.

For your problem just make sure the fuse and relay are situated in the slots properly. There is a white fuse puller in the engine bay fuse box.

****Our cars use the "mini" fuses****

Good Luck...

KOUPKRAZY said:
I installed a new air horn last week, had no problems until 2 days ago when it wouldn't work at all. The first thing I checked was to make sure the wiring didn't come loose. Next step was to find a fuse. Being that there are 2 fuse boxes, one by the drivers door and the other just behind the battery in the engine bay. The horn relay is in the engine bay fuse box. Pulled that and swapped in a different one, still nothing. There is also a separate 10amp Horn fuse in the engine bay fuse box (which I missed at first) which had blown. I replaced it with another 10amp fuse and the next day it blew out. I then replaced it with a 15amp fuse and haven't had any problems.

For your problem just make sure the fuse and relay are situated in the slots properly. There is a white fuse puller in the engine bay fuse box.

****Our cars use the "mini" fuses****

Good Luck...

where is the fuse for the horn? i think that the fuse cover under the hood is labeled wrong on my car because the picture doesn't match the actual fuse box layout. i can hear the relay clicking, but the horn doesn't want to always sound.

2010sxkoup said:
where is the fuse for the horn? i think that the fuse cover under the hood is labeled wrong on my car because the picture doesn't match the actual fuse box layout. i can hear the relay clicking, but the horn doesn't want to always sound.
It's not easy to figure it out but your horn fuse should be a 10AMP toward the front and outside the car!

KOUPKRAZY said:
It should, you may have to turn the diagram to match the layout of the fuses...pretty simple to do.

one would think so....but the diagram doesn't match the fuse panel at all no matter which way it is turned.
and randomly this morning the horn started working again....it has to be something with the horn being wet since it rained the last few days and then now it works.

2010sxkoup said:
one would think so....but the diagram doesn't match the fuse panel at all no matter which way it is turned.
and randomly this morning the horn started working again....it has to be something with the horn being wet since it rained the last few days and then now it works.
I had taken a few pics of the horn fuse for the DIY steering wheel badge replacement which requires disabling the horn by pulling the fuse first.
Pic 1 the fuse box under hood with cover off
Pic 2 pointing at the fuse puller that you need to use
Pic 3 touching the horn fuse with puller
Pic 4 horn fuse removed[hr]
You may have a grounding problem or bad positive connection to the horn somewhere. Easier to wiggle wiring when it isn't working to find the spot.

Attachments

ok, so the horn has been working again for a while now until recently. i washed my car and went to lock it and the horn didn't want to work again. the relay is clicking, so i'm thinking that the horn is getting wet and shorting out when i either wash my car or it rains.
i checked all of the wiring and everything seemed ok...so maybe the horn itself isn't sealed correctly?? has anyone else had this problem or heard of it? i let the dealer look at it and of course they can't duplicate it even though i can. should i just buy a new horn and see if that fixes it??

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
i replaced my horn for a lower tone, still havent found the one im looking for though lol. might hit up another mfr for their horn and wiring harness

i ended up stopping by a kia dealer near my work and the looked at the car for me. they pulled the old horn out and showed me how the horn was shorting out every time water touched it because there was a small crack in the horn case.

so they put a new one on and so far so good, but the new horn seems to have a tinnier sound than the old horn (which i thought sounded very tinny to begin with). Kia definitely needs to get a horn that has some balls to it for our cars!

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
i went to autozone and got a new one... def NOT the tone i wanted, but DEF an improvement... it sounds like the new focus's lol

but hey, at least it works, right??

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one experiencing issues with my horn. I've had my Forte for a year now and the horn only works intermittently, I initially thought it was when it was raining, but now it seems to not work when I go above 40 mph. Once I hit 40 the horn doesn't work until I turn my car off. then it starts working again. I had the dealer try to fix it last week, they replaced a coil. Less than 5 miles away it didn't work again. Any suggestions on what to tell the dealer? there is no way I am paying for a new horn

JaclynD said:
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one experiencing issues with my horn. I've had my Forte for a year now and the horn only works intermittently, I initially thought it was when it was raining, but now it seems to not work when I go above 40 mph. Once I hit 40 the horn doesn't work until I turn my car off. then it starts working again. I had the dealer try to fix it last week, they replaced a coil. Less than 5 miles away it didn't work again. Any suggestions on what to tell the dealer? there is no way I am paying for a new horn
It's more likely the clockspring inside the steering wheel. That's the part that keeps all the steering column electric controls connected as you turn the wheel.

I have a similar problem. Horn stopped working, but it works when I hit the lock button on the key fab. I checked fuses, and when you push the steering wheel, it makes the click sound.