Inside the Kia Head Unit

lilforte10

I was wondering if anyone has removed their factory stereo and taken it apart yet? If so do you have any pictures?

lilforte10

Well no point really I was just wondering if anyone had... I'm looking to pull mine out and disassemble it possibly adding pre outs prior to the cheap internal amp... I gutted an older stock unit from spectra for proof of concept and was able to locate the 4 signals coming from the audio control chip (SAA7709). I tapped these signals and sent them to my home stereo reciever just messing around. Basically what I'm trying to find is the audio control chip in my unit without pulling it to locate a datasheet...[hr]
Also I would like to know what chip is being used for the sat. Radio... I'm just looking for ways to occupy Christmas break....

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Elizabeth, PA
you have to take apart the ENTIRE dash. i remember when we were trying to install my line-out converter, we realized that and gave up on it. its insanely difficult for the average buyer to take apart...

lilforte10

Well really I'm just wanting the best of both worlds... Nice factory look along with after market features... Perhaps I should just learn to settle... But then again what fun is that...​

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Elizabeth, PA
Kenny C said:
mschiavoni said:
agreed. lol
Some people crash/sell their cars too much! :crazy:
hey now, i finally got a vehicle with the features i wanted (and then some) :)

lilforte10 said:
Well really I'm just wanting the best of both worlds... Nice factory look along with after market features... Perhaps I should just learn to settle... But then again what fun is that...​
you're not gonna get factory looks with aftermarket parts. at least for now

Rihavens

I removed the factory stereo and put a signal cleaner behind the head unit. It converted the signal out from the factory head unit to RCA. I wired RCA to the amp under my seat, then wires from the amp back to the stock wiring harness. The bad news is I had to cut into the factory harness. The good news is I kept the factory pigtails.

This link will help you remove the stereo.

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/4049-stereo-install-write-up.html

littlekia10

So instead of modding the factory head unit how about a nice clean ipad install... removing ac controls and relocating head unit to the glove box for use as a preamp and cd,am/fm, ect... http://lindipad.blogspot.com. Let me know what you all think.