Installing aftermarket speakers

senglish85

I was wondering if I could get any advice on installing a subwoofer. I know how to do pretty much all of it without voiding my warranty, but I'm not sure where or how to connect the amplifier to the stereo.

RonTonkinKia

I have done plenty of Amp and Sub installs on many different types of vehicles. Most factory stereos will not have an RCA output.

If you do not want to replace the stereo you will need to get an amp that can be wired to a speaker in order to get it's signal.

I used to have a Pioneer 200w 2 channel that I ran two really cheap Pioneer subs on. It had a plug on the side that gave you the option to run the RCAs for the signal or the plug.

A

admin

Check www.crutchfield.com - you can get an Infinity bass speaker that plugs right into one of your rear speakers and you'll have decent bass.. The speaker comes pre-installed with an amplifier...

tcmusic

i just bought a forte ex with 6 speakers. although i am pretty impressed with the bass response that the stock speakers give me, i need a sub.  i like your recommendation about the infinity bass speaker. can you please name the exact bass speaker model you're referring to? i don't really know what to look for once i get to the crutchfield site. also, do i have to have a kia dealership install it for me to avoid voiding the warranty? will this bass speaker give me the same response as a 10 inch sub would?

A

admin

Here it is:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108BASSLIN/Infinity-Basslink.html?search=infinity+subwoofers

It's probably not going to be a VERY powerful amount of bass. I mean - you're not going to set off any alarms with it. But from what I've read in reviews, it provides a good shot of bass inside the vehicle..

I'm not 100% positive on warranty issues - but since this just plugs into a wire in a pre-existing speaker - I don't THINK it would void any warranties.. You should probably check with your dealership to be sure. You wouldn't need anyone to install this speaker for you. It's plug and play...

tlech03

I was trying to hook up an amp i have an mtx 12 inch and an alpine amp but i couldnt find an area for the power cable to go from the battery to inside the car. If you guys have hook up an amp please tell me how. Thanks(I have a manual Forte EX)

Forte_sushi

Hey guys,
I'm the proud owner of a white forte sx manual 6 speed. I love it.
I'm wanting to install a sub and amp that I have.
Any one have instructions on how to tap into head unit to link RCA cables?

Thanks in advance

sushi

vizunary

Texas
Radioshack is your friend. If you look around or ask you can find a rig to use the speaker output from one on the rear speakers and convert it to rca type connection. Obviously this is not an ideal situation, you will only be getting the signal to that speaker and not both the left and right channels which you would get from a direct rca connection to the head unit. You might also go directly to your dealer and have them hook it up for you. My dealers got pretty reasonable rates for the aftermarket stuff they're putting on mine.

jve

JL AUDIO makes a box that takes speaker level inputs from your factory radio and converts them to
RCA outputs, i would look into that option as well. i have used them before, and worked out very well,
altho i had a 300/4 running the front/rears and a 500/1 on the sub in a mitsubishi, but its basically the
same idea from car to car, run speaker lines into box, run rca and power to amps and run new speaker wires to speakers. great way to get factory look and still have the power you want, IMO

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Elizabeth, PA
senglish85 said:
I was wondering if I could get any advice on installing a subwoofer. I know how to do pretty much all of it without voiding my warranty, but I'm not sure where or how to connect the amplifier to the stereo.
the forte should have the pre outs, as it shares its head unit with the Optima, which has an externally amplified subwoofer (Infinity :D)

EDIT: i have a 400W Memphis Competition Series sub powered by a 500W Legacy Amp waiting to get installed hehe

vizunary

Texas
i haven't got into mine yet, but others have said there are no outputs on the unit. i'm looking into different amps now, though i hate the idea of choosing an amp based on whether it has a speaker level input or not. anyone seen an amp that has speaker inputs for both the L and R?

D113

You guys should check out my threads over at the other forum

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-forte-forum/53049-d113s-forte-audio-install-phase-2-a.html
http://www.forteforums.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/199-d113s-audio-system-overhaul-phase-3-a.html

if you have any questions, feel free to email me.

I have a full set front and back of top of the line Kenwood eXcelons that I originally had in my Forte Sedan for sale.. Toronto area only please.

Cheers!

D

Cheers

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Elizabeth, PA
D113 said:
You guys should check out my threads over at the other forum

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-forte-forum/53049-d113s-forte-audio-install-phase-2-a.html
http://www.forteforums.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/199-d113s-audio-system-overhaul-phase-3-a.html

if you have any questions, feel free to email me.

I have a full set front and back of top of the line Kenwood eXcelons that I originally had in my Forte Sedan for sale.. Toronto area only please.

Cheers!

D

Cheers
wow just checked it out... def no warranty left on the sound system, but it must sound awesome... how much did that cost?

D113

mschiavoni said:
wow just checked it out... def no warranty left on the sound system, but it must sound awesome... how much did that cost?
LOL not going there ;)

fortunately all of the amps were used, and my dealer cut quite a few deals due to my return business and trade-ins.

Rekoup

Milwaukee
Forte_sushi said:
Hey guys,
I'm the proud owner of a white forte sx manual 6 speed. I love it.
I'm wanting to install a sub and amp that I have.
Any one have instructions on how to tap into head unit to link RCA cables?

Thanks in advance

sushi
I'm jealous of your color combo. No white ones within 1500 miles of me were to be found :)

Tapping in wouldnt be a great idea, as RCA inputs generally arent amplified or at speaker power. I know there are dummy boxes you can get with crossovers built in: LF RF RR LR inputs (or more), and RCA out for an amp, supposed to be hooked up to an amp with speaker/sub outputs.[hr]
Side note for speakers:

I'd found a webpage from a guy back in 2004 or so, who was restoring a 60's mustang. He used some roofing-type material for construction that was 1/10th the cost of Dynamat, looked the same, thinner, and worked BETTER. I ordered some samples and was very impressed with the quality of the product. I put my restoration of my 72 Cougar on hold - money issues, and forgot all about it until this post.

I'll see what I can google, or i'll ask a guy i Know in the West Allis Auto Club: I gave the samples to him for the club members to look at.[hr]
EDIT: Its not "Peel & Seal". This stuff was the same but CHEAP in price.

D113

All you need to do is go to your local car audio dealer and ask them to do what you want. They'll install a LOC (Line output converter) which will pull signal off the speaker wires and convert them to RCA. They'll run RCA's and an 8AWG to 4AWG power wire with fuse from your battery to your sub's amp. They wire a ground from the Amp to the chassis.

As for the price.. I hate to say it but the RCAs, Powers and ground cost $600 installed AT LEAST, in my car =)

The front door speakers cost over $400, the rear doors as well. The amps (I paid about $800 total for all three) The EQ I paid $100, the Kinetic HC600 battery in the trunk, $150.The Cache COE 6 channel LOC was $250 The Raammat about $125, and the installation/custom sub box/vanity plate and all the other bits was probably around $800 spread out over 6 months.

Rekoup

Milwaukee
For the "Do I have big enough wire?" crowd, here's from my 2008 (current, updates every 3 years) NEC Handbook:
Remember at 12 volts, 120 watts is 10 amps. watts = volts times amps.

1000 watts @ 12 volts = 83.3 amps = 4 GA THHN. Note, this is RMS, not PEAK. I'd go into it here but radioheads would argue with me. RMS is what actually exists.

Your connectors (lugs) if used must also match the amperage/wire gauge.
Cars arent covered by the NEC: I've just posted this here as a guideline.

Remember at 12 volts, 120 watts is 10 amps. watts = volts times amps.

1000 watts @ 12 volts = 83.3 amps = 4 GA THHN. Note, this is RMS, not PEAK. I'd go into it here but radioheads would argue with me. RMS is what actually exists.

Your connectors (lugs) if used must also match the amperage/wire gauge.
Cars arent covered by the NEC: I've just posted this here as a guideline.

D113

Here's something similar from the car audio pros. Also it may differ due to the lengths and the fact the music isn't a constant load, rather it's quite dynamic.

http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

D113

jve said:
JL AUDIO makes a box that takes speaker level inputs from your factory radio and converts them to
RCA outputs, i would look into that option as well. i have used them before, and worked out very well,
altho i had a 300/4 running the front/rears and a 500/1 on the sub in a mitsubishi, but its basically the
same idea from car to car, run speaker lines into box, run rca and power to amps and run new speaker wires to speakers. great way to get factory look and still have the power you want, IMO
Do NOT, I Repeat, DO NOT use the JL audio product (cleansweep) in a Forte.

The cleansweep is designed to re-eq factory systems that have multiple EQ's in different outputs. The Forte's EQ's are perfect which in essence confused the Cleansweep and made it sound like a telephone conversation (very compressed.)

For everyone here, I suggest taking it to your local car audio install bay and have them do it. They will likely be the best at installing it in a way that will not appear to be warranty voiding. They can recommend proper LOC's to get the signal off the door speakers.[hr]
Here's a copy of my rant on the cleansweep in the Forte

""So, here's a list of what I did in my '10 Kia Forte and what I've learned from the experience. (wasn't going to change out the stock deck.)

1st - Added a JLG1300 Amp w/ 10w6v2 in a sealed generic box. Line converter on the front speaker lines.

conclusion: good first upgrade, underpowered sub but added some nice low-end. The stock speaker are garbage of course, but overall weren't too bad. They definitely were missing a lot of low-mid so on to step 2

2nd. Swapped the stock speakers for Kenwood Excelon Components in the front, and Excelon coaxials in the back.

conclusion: Now we're talking!.. everything I needed to hear was there! Sounded fantastic. However the deck's 22w /ch output was seriously laggin behind the sub. This step was an intermediate step so on to step 3.

3rd. Changed out the G1300 for a 500/1 Slash and added a 300/4 Slash. Upgraded to 2AWG (or 0AWG...whichever needs a 150A fuse)

conclusion: Awesome! Was almost perfect in the full-range, and the sub was nice and tight. I still felt I could get better. As I work in the Pro Audio and Lighting Industry, I knew I was missing the low-end the a sealed box was really rolling-off.

4th. Changed the sealed box for a HO box.

conclusion: BAM! fan-fricken-tastic! Practically perfect! All the headroom in the world on the sub.[hr]
Here's where it got interesting though:

The line converters were sending a very HOT signal to the Amps. When the installers switched the amps to a high level input and we cranked the stereo to about 2/3rds to 75%, we started to hear distortion when we turned up the amps. This was likely due to the line converters output being not quite HOT enough for a High level signal but nice and hot for a low-level signal. We kept the Amps set to low, which required the 500/1 to be turned all the way down, which was very clean however it concerned me that I could be close to pushing it to hard for the 10w6v2. I have the JL bass boost knob, and any slight attenuation to it was sending my sub screaming away.

I started doing some research to find a better line-converter type product and began readin reviews on the CleanSweep. I thought to myself,..." hey this would do the job and also re-eq the factory signal" which lead me to believe that I'd get the ultimate on sonic fidelity for my vehicle.

Got it installed and here's my opinion:[hr]
While many reviews say that it's an awesome product, I found that in my case, it actually sounded worse in the end. The mids were way too hot, the low-mids were also boosted too much in their higher range leaving the overall sound afterwards sounding very "compressed". For those of you who do not know what compression is, just think of the sound you get when you listen to someone on speakerphone, or the case of the intentionally used, listen to "Digging a Hole" by Big Sugar. Very compressed sounding indeed. I guess the point is, when it ain't broke, dont fix it. I can see the JL Cleansweep doing a fantastic job for OEM stereos with TONS of Eq'ing done to them, (BMW , and a lot of Japanese car steroes.) The truth about a Kia Forte/Soul stock deck is they are tuned quite well for someone who listens to : Alt/Rock, Rap/hiphop, Electronic, and even Acoustic and Classical. Heck even talk radio sounded better before the Cleansweep.[hr]
Today I'll be taking her in for hopefully the last time and getting the CSwp swapped out for a high quality set of LnCnvrtrs that will get me the proper level out to the amps, while also having a very good quality signal coming going out as well.

I'll let you know what I chose and what I gained in the end.

Lets hope it's not hearing loss that's actually at work here... but I doubt it!
""[hr]
Well I'm back and it definitely isnt hearing loss!
Installed a Cache COE6 which is essentially an attenuatable,summable, 6 input live converter/driver.
My sound is back to it's awesomeness, and actually noticeably better than the original passive line converters... the highs are so much clearer now than they ever were. Originally.. like most people, I'd turn up the highs a bit on the deck.. Now leave them flat as they are coming through load an clear.

Hope this set of lessons help people down the road.

D

Here's two links to where my car is audio-wise now: