Ipod Connection

Blieorg

Hey all, new to the Kia forum and Forte of course. Just bought a Forte EX, and it seems that it's not working well with my iTouch. Unfortunately there aren't really good directions - even in the manual. So I guess i'm wondering if I need to get this special accessory cable from KIA, or will it work with my normal iPod USB cable? Can I search through the songs and play the one I want? Will the normal song names etc show up?

Thanks.

forte4me

I have a 2010 forte ex also and I talked to the dealer and in order to work your iPod through the steering wheel controls you need their adapter. I think its like $40 if I remember. Not more than that I know. You can just use the aux input with a simple cord that plugs into where the headphones go in your iPod. You have to control things through the iPod though but it's no big deal to me because that's what I had to do with my civic also. Hope this helps.

TisMyFORTE

I went to the dealership where i purchased my Forte and the parts department said that the cable was 57 and change and i asked me if it got me outa parking tickets too!?! So i just talked to a friend that works there and said he can get if for 37 so i might just get it yet. :D

A

admin

Go for the cable if you have the money. It's so much easier to use the interface to interact with your iPod while driving. Much less dangerous as well.

RayThom

Drexel Hill
AND HOW ABOUT A FLASHDRIVE?

I load up my 8GB  'flash' with music and PodCasts and it works fine... until I try to advance to some other download. Then everything just starts over again, from the beginning. That a tad frustration, don't you think?

Anyway, if I plug in the 'flash' and don't touch anything, all is well. I can even turn off the ignition and upon restart the p'cast picks up where it left off. I'm OK with this but I'd like to find a way to select individual tracks. Any thoughts? THX Ray  

fenterspooner

The IPOD cable is definitely the way to go. I made sure to have them add it as part of the "deal". They just went back and grabbed one from the parts department.

I leave it plugged in all the time and the song starts right up where it left and when you shut off the car it pauses it so your IPOD goes to sleep. The only issue is the car doesn't keep the "RANDOM (RDM)" setting enabled so every time you turn the car on you have to select it or it will play your music in order. It's not a big deal but I normally use the shuffle mode instead of listening to each artist in order.

The music sounds excellent and I love the fact it shows the artist and song information on the radio. I also like the fact you can completely control your IPOD through the radio.

A

admin

It's pretty impressive how well they integrated the iPod. They did a great job. As for the RANDOM problem - that's something they can update with software in the future. If enough people complain about it, they'll take care of it. But like you said, it's very minor...

ewendkos

I finally bought my Kia Forte SX in black.  I'm loving the car, particularly the mileage that I'm getting!

Anyways, I picked up the ipod connector cable from Kia, and nothing plays.  I tried with my iPhone 3G and my iPod 3rd Generation, and for both I get the message that "media not connected".

Any advice?  Do I need to put one of them in disk mode?  So frustrating.

The bluetooth works fine with my iPhone, but I can't get the darn thing to recognize music.

fenterspooner

I'll try my 1st gen IPod NANO and iPhone 3G tonight, however my 4th gen NANO worked immediately after I connected it.

Does your IPOD say KIA when connected to the cable?

Also from the KIA website it only says "It is compatible with late model iPod products produced Irons mid-2004 on (4th Generations iPods, all Nanos, etc)".

You shouldn't have to change any setting on the IPOD.

fenterspooner

Well, I tried my other IPOD devices and all of them worked perfectly for me.

* IPOD NANO 1st gen
* IPOD NANO 3rd gen
* IPHONE 3G (3.1 software)

They all worked immediately so it's possible you have a bad cable or your radio is having issues. I would try the cable first.

ewendkos

Thanks for checking.  So when you plug each of them in, they immediately boot up and the forte recognizes them and vice/versa?

I'll head back to the dealership and see if they can bring me another cable to try out then.

fenterspooner

You are correct. It should automatically turn on your IPOD and switch your car's input to AUX.

Hopefully a different cable resolves it. If not, let us know what the dealer does to get it working.

Lil_Joe

I use the usb cable that came with the ipod (got a few extra ones). I find that it works quite well.

Having said that I took RayThom's advise and loaded up a $10 flash drive, plugged it in and presto, as good as an ipod and safe to leave in the car. Been in for 4 days and haven't unplugged it yet.

ewendkos

Finally! I got the ipod connector working. As it turns out, you have to make sure the end that connects to the Forte is seated PERFECTLY. Once I got that, the iPhone works with no problems. Now I leaved it plugged in to the Forte and plug and unplug the iphone as needed.

jve

the kia ipod connector is required to get the ipods to work properly.
during orientation for the forte, they were very adamant about explaining that to us, that using the
regular usb ipod cable that it would not work properly, i guess the kia cable helps the two devices to communicate properly, as the radio does not work like a pc. something to that effect. any problems, you should go see your dealer and have them mess with it. i wouldnt be surprised to see a bad cable here and there, like with any mass produced cable, there will be ones here and there that arent right.

xrxdudexrx

I bought my 2011 Kia Forte several months ago and have experienced continual issues with connecting my iPhone 4 through the KIA factory dock connector. While my iPhone is connected, the audio unit will start whistling randomly while driving, will reboot, or will switch into bluetooth and start altering bluetooth settings without prompting (such as language or pairing). This occurs only while the iphone is connected and while driving, whether during bluetooth calls, radio use, or iphone music use. I've taken the car in for service several times over the past for months to resolve this which is included a swap to a completely new audio unit with no change. The KIA company has now told me the car is only intended for iPods and was never intended for use with iPhones (despite the irony that the iPod touch is that same operating platform). This also has occured with my girlfriends iPhone 4S. Has anyone else experienced this issue or similar problems with any devices? KIA has told me that I should just use the bluetooth (which sounds horrible by comparison) and that they have no responsibility for this problem and will not correct it.