Koup may get a turbo option....

blkkoup

Reaction score
I just came upon this and figured I'll share it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/15/report-kia-forte-koup-may-get-brands-first-ever-turbo/

rstp72

Reaction score
it'll be a wise move for KIA ;)
if they do, KIA owners will be saying "who's laughing now"

gotta love some of the comments after the article

rscheckler

Reaction score
Now here is the question...for those of us who haven't purchased our Koup yet...is it worth the wait for the turbo?

vizunary

Reaction score
i wonder if it will get the DI 2.4 turboed? or the same engine we have now with a turbo? apparently hyundai is moving the DI into the 2011 Sonata with a turbo option to follow. it's what I really wanted but couldn't wait any longer, old car was dying. ah well, i will still get the power i want eventually.

Sal Collaziano

Heavy lies the crown...
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If the Forte gets a turbo option, the high performance aftermarket will make this car far more popular than the Civic ever was - and we all know how many young enthusiasts are driving Civics...

SweetSandMan

Reaction score
Damn...if they do that I would totally consider trading for one of these things...but only if the offer it in the sedan...I want 4 doors.

KoupCoupe

Reaction score
SweetSandMan said:
Damn...if they do that I would totally consider trading for one of these things...but only if the offer it in the sedan...I want 4 doors.

If they provide a turbo version with an automatic I think they will sell well...can't for the life of me understand why GM didn't provide a SS/TC with an automatic...I guess they still have their head in the fifties...:)

ConceptVBS

Reaction score
I'm going to guess that it will be the 2.0 Theta Turbo found in the Genesis Coupe.

The 2011 Sonata will have the 2.0 Theta Turbo GDI engine for its more powerful engine.

Rekoup

Reaction score
I may have to buy a second Koup then. Trade-in values of any car is just the dealer raping you.

Ah, how nice :) VROOOOOMMMMM

KoupCoupe

Reaction score
I have yet to see any "official" Kia info on the turbo...even on the Kia Buzz site the turbo hasn't been considered in the Forte yet...

Time will tell...

triple_deuce

Reaction score
I think what they should do is make a 3 door hatchback of the Forte Koup, put the 2.0 liter turbo that's in the 2.0T Sonata under the hood, and give the VW R20 and run for the money. Hell, they could even just take the face off the Koup, put it on the wagon they are coming out with anyways and put that same engine in it. Give the MazdaSpeed3 something to fear. Kia is proving that they can make world class, competitive offerings. Something like that in a limited production run might be kinda cool.

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Reaction score
triple_deuce said:
I think what they should do is make a 3 door hatchback of the Forte Koup, put the 2.0 liter turbo that's in the 2.0T Sonata under the hood, and give the VW R20 and run for the money. Hell, they could even just take the face off the Koup, put it on the wagon they are coming out with anyways and put that same engine in it. Give the MazdaSpeed3 something to fear. Kia is proving that they can make world class, competitive offerings. Something like that in a limited production run might be kinda cool.

i agree with all the above. give all the competition some COMPETITION. up the ante!

Cypress

Reaction score
I for one never thought I'd look at a Kia twice, but once I seen and drove this car I was sold. I've never seen a Forte on the road before I bought my SX two months ago, and only seen one since. I like that I have a one-of-a-kind car. I know that popularity for these cars are going to rise especially when/if the turbo version comes out, but as someone else said earlier, it might even surpass the Civic. To me Civics are nice, but they are a-dime-a-dozon type of car. It's like right now I'm rootin' for the underdog with my Kia, and if popularity skyrockets then it'll be like I'm just on the Forte band-wagon.

At this moment a turbo kit voids the warranty, right? If Kia comes out with a new turbo version then it'll be covered under the warranty, right? Hmm, I might be lookin' to upgrade when that happens.

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Reaction score
Cypress said:
At this moment a turbo kit voids the warranty, right? If Kia comes out with a new turbo version then it'll be covered under the warranty, right? Hmm, I might be lookin' to upgrade when that happens.

as far as i know, yes. i wont do anything to the car until its out of warranty haha

KoupCoupe

Reaction score
mschiavoni said:
as far as i know, yes. i wont do anything to the car until its out of warranty haha

...so...10 years from now you'll be installing a turbo...LoL...JK!

BTW OP...still have not seen anything from Kia about a turbo for the Koup...you would think they'd want to let people know so they could make plans to buy one...

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Reaction score
KoupCoupe said:
...so...10 years from now you'll be installing a turbo...LoL...JK!

BTW OP...still have not seen anything from Kia about a turbo for the Koup...you would think they'd want to let people know so they could make plans to buy one...

eh, thats not too bad. what about those kids who mod 20 yr old civics?

koupsta_joe

Reaction score
i wonder what will happen to us koup owners when the turbo version comes out. will we be able to just go to the dealership and be like give me the turbo please LOL. it will probably cost an arm and a leg LOL. I just bought my 6 speed koup yesterday and its awesome. ive been thinking of turbo charging it myself with my t28 of my 240sx. i wonder if it will work.

O_Danny_Boy

Reaction score
mschiavoni said:
probably not. different motor ;)

Provided he does his homework and the turbo efficiency map matches jives with the operating range of the motor I don't see why not. A matter of plumbing and some computer work. Of course then the warranty would also be worth about as much as a roll of toilet paper but to each his own I guess.