New Owner, But With Caution

Hey guys!

I just purchased a used 2016 Kia Forte EX.

My husband and I had a Honda CR-V, but when we moved to the city, we decided that "we" didn't need a big car and, to avoid higher payments, decided to downgrade.

We looked and looked and couldn't find anything we liked, and then we stumbled onto the Kia Forte, which rides like a dream and has such great upgraded features (it has a premium package).

My only concern is this: I am absolutely terrified of bottoming out. Like, it keeps me up at night and gives me the chills. It physically pains me to think about it and I know, since the Forte we bought only has 5.3 inches of ground clearance, it will one day, probably soon, bottom out on one of the many speed bumps we have here.

So what do I do? My husband LOVES this car, and while I like it, I just don't know if I can handle a car that bottoms out all the time.

In your experience, do you bottom out a lot? Do you have ways of avoiding it without driving at 15 MPH under the speed limit at all times?

Thanks for the feedback!

Sal Collaziano

Heavy lies the crown...
Staff member
Administrator
Hey guys!

I just purchased a used 2016 Kia Forte EX.

My husband and I had a Honda CR-V, but when we moved to the city, we decided that "we" didn't need a big car and, to avoid higher payments, decided to downgrade.

We looked and looked and couldn't find anything we liked, and then we stumbled onto the Kia Forte, which rides like a dream and has such great upgraded features (it has a premium package).

My only concern is this: I am absolutely terrified of bottoming out. Like, it keeps me up at night and gives me the chills. It physically pains me to think about it and I know, since the Forte we bought only has 5.3 inches of ground clearance, it will one day, probably soon, bottom out on one of the many speed bumps we have here.

So what do I do? My husband LOVES this car, and while I like it, I just don't know if I can handle a car that bottoms out all the time.

In your experience, do you bottom out a lot? Do you have ways of avoiding it without driving at 15 MPH under the speed limit at all times?

Thanks for the feedback!
Welcome! No car should bottom out under normal circumstances. If you high higher than usual speed bumps in your area, you should have no trouble as long as you move slowly over them. Speed bumps aren't supposed to be so high that a car bought and driven out of any new car showroom has a problem. If the speed bumps near you cause a problem, it's the fault of the designer of the speed bumps - not the car...