Performance Chip

Ratdaddy

Yukon Oklahoma
. Most of the time it's just a resistor that tricks you ecu into thinking your getting cooler air and leans out you mixture...Also it might void your warranty...Im not saying this chip or any others don't work i just won't buy em..I would get a get a good set of plugs and update your plugwires...

KoupCoupe

I agree with Ratdaddy on these "chips"...don't have any experience with these devices and don't know anybody that has. If these things really did increase gas mileage I think the car manufacturers would already have them in the car.

BTW...I think there are no spark plug wires -- aren't these engines coil on plugs?

rstp72

yeah , when you see that the chip is available for LAMBORGHINI MURCIELAGO ,FERRARI F430 SCUDERIA ,PORSCHE 911 and such :rolleyes: , makes you wonder

Rekoup

Milwaukee
A trick we did for our friends when I worked at the Ford dealership was to get all the MAP sensors in the parts department and put them on their car, and measure the signal return voltage. I think the higher the voltage, the lower the barometric pressure was supposed to be...and the processor increased the fuel injector pulse width a small amount over the entire band.

I wouldnt trust these things at all. Probably the same theory though. Most chips only have a wide open throttle response anyways. The best ones have entirely different tables programmed in.

Kenny C

Lubbock, TX
Rekoup said:
A trick we did for our friends when I worked at the Ford dealership was to get all the MAP sensors in the parts department and put them on their car, and measure the signal return voltage. I think the higher the voltage, the lower the barometric pressure was supposed to be...and the processor increased the fuel injector pulse width a small amount over the entire band.

I wouldnt trust these things at all. Probably the same theory though. Most chips only have a wide open throttle response anyways. The best ones have entirely different tables programmed in.
I used HP Tuners on my trucks. You could adjust every table for every parameter. Too bad they will more than likely never come over to the import side.

BoonDr

Biggest red flag for me is the fact it only says 2010 Kia Forte. It doesn't mention which engine it is for, that would seem to me to be a big deal.

markd

How can you say the chips don't work. Ofcourse they do. I know people who has had their cars chipped. I can't belive you made a statement like that, your obviously misinformed.

I am looking at the UNIchip for a KOUP. They garuntee 10 - 30KW increase. This place garuntees 37 KW in crease! http://slrmotorsports.com/shop/index.php...tail&p=880. That seems a bit much to garuntee...but I'm sure you get a better performace. I am looking at the UNI chip for a Koup...they say between 10 - 30KW increase.

Ratdaddy

Yukon Oklahoma
markd said:
How can you say the chips don't work. Ofcourse they do. I know people who has had their cars chipped. I can't belive you made a statement like that, your obviously misinformed.

I am looking at the UNIchip for a KOUP. They garuntee 10 - 30KW increase. This place garuntees 37 KW in crease! http://slrmotorsports.com/shop/index.php...tail&p=880. That seems a bit much to garuntee...but I'm sure you get a better performace. I am looking at the UNI chip for a Koup...they say between 10 - 30KW increase.
Sorry couldn't resist .
Go ahead and get your chip and report back...I would also contact your dealer or Kia and ask if it will effect your factory warranty..In my opinion only, the chip or whatever they want to name it ,is nothing but a resistor that fools your ECU into thinking it's getting colder air and leans out the fuel mixture...As i stated in an earlier responce a good exhaust high performance plugs and new wires with a proper cold air intake will realy make a difference. Your built in butt dyno will realy feel it.

FydaForte

Sacramento
markd said:

Exactly... they "Say" not guarantee! people see statements like this and got out on a whim and buy it.. and a typical person like myself who doesnt dyno their vehicle i would never know the difference on paper... its like taking those sugar pill's when you think its asprin and your headache goes away LOL

wingzero_

markd said:
You are clearly the one that is misinformed if you think a resistor tricking your car into believing its at cold idle will a) get you more power b) save you gas.

Unichip is actually "a chip" that remaps fuel maps and timing among other things. You'll never see a 49 HP increase on a simple N/A 2.4. If you had a either a diesel or petro turbo then you might. You're still in the "I know people..." phase which proves you have limited experience with the topic, so please don't challenge unless you actually know what you are talking about.

vizunary

Texas
there are some real "chips" out their, but they actually reprogram the car's computer and make adjustments. but you sure as hell can't find them for $20-50. and they still don't give the kind of over-exaggerated performance boosts you see from these chip sellers. there's a company that made a very good one for the genesis coupe and is currently working on one for us.

Kenny C

Lubbock, TX
vizunary said:
there are some real "chips" out their, but they actually reprogram the car's computer and make adjustments. but you sure as hell can't find them for $20-50. and they still don't give the kind of over-exaggerated performance boosts you see from these chip sellers. there's a company that made a very good one for the genesis coupe and is currently working on one for us.
Do you know the name of company? Tuning was always the best bang for buck mod on GM trucks...aside from rear end gear ratio changes, which required tuning to recal the speedo.

nuthin.fancy64

Ratdaddy said:
markd said:

Sorry couldn't resist .
Go ahead and get your chip and report back...I would also contact your dealer or Kia and ask if it will effect your factory warranty..In my opinion only, the chip or whatever they want to name it ,is nothing but a resistor that fools your ECU into thinking it's getting colder air and leans out the fuel mixture...As i stated in an earlier responce a good exhaust high performance plugs and new wires with a proper cold air intake will realy make a difference. Your built in butt dyno will realy feel it.
So what kind of plugs & wires do you suggest for my 2012 Koup SX? By the way years ago I bought a chip from hypertech stage 2 chip, installed it in a brand new 1986 monte carlo SS had to gut the converter with the stage 2 chip but BELIEVE me, I had a lot more power & a little better gas milage, back then that chip was 200 bucks but well worth it, installed myself in 20 minutes, had that car for 5 years & NEVER had a problem with the car or the warranty when I took it to dealer but that was then & this is now.

Ratdaddy

Yukon Oklahoma
OK OK I give up you guys buy what ever kind of (chip) you think will work and i will keep my hard earned money in my pocket..Oh and by the way if a $20.00 chip gives you 20/50 more Hp woundn't the factory install them ,.Come on guys grow up. This ain't the dancing GI Joe you fell for on a TV add when you were 5 . This is the real world . The damn things don't work..

Ratdaddy

Yukon Oklahoma
nuthin.fancy64 said:
Ratdaddy said:
markd said:

Sorry couldn't resist .
So what kind of plugs & wires do you suggest for my 2012 Koup SX? By the way years ago I bought a chip from hypertech stage 2 chip, installed it in a brand new 1986 monte carlo SS had to gut the converter with the stage 2 chip but BELIEVE me, I had a lot more power & a little better gas milage, back then that chip was 200 bucks but well worth it, installed myself in 20 minutes, had that car for 5 years & NEVER had a problem with the car or the warranty when I took it to dealer but that was then & this is now.
New wires was just a blanket statement .The Kia 2.4 does not have plug wires it has coil packs...As far as the chip you used years ago it was an E-Prom chip you installed into the control unit.Todays cars have to have the ecu flashed or install a piggyback .Just adding a 20/60 dollar chip is a waste of good money.

nuthin.fancy64

Ratdaddy said:
nuthin.fancy64 said:
Ratdaddy said:
markd said:

Sorry couldn't resist .
New wires was just a blanket statement .The Kia 2.4 does not have plug wires it has coil packs...As far as the chip you used years ago it was an E-Prom chip you installed into the control unit.Todays cars have to have the ecu flashed or install a piggyback .Just adding a 20/60 dollar chip is a waste of good money.
so what kind of plugs would you suggest for my 2012 kia koup sx?

Kovalchuk17

what plugs? depends on what you want. the factory iridiums are great for longevity. I switched to platinum, just to see if there was a difference. a couple more mpg, little smoother (seemingly) is what i got out of it. somewhere it's stated for the best spark, copper is the way to go BUT you gotta be religious changing the plugs and they are naturally hotter than the others. just stick with iridiums, and even get better iridium grade plugs if you are that into it. plugs are the cheapest parts really, you can get a bunch of different sets and test them out each for a few thousand miles and see what you like best. up to you.[hr]
Ratdaddy said:
I trust RRM with their ECU piggybacks, although i wouldn't use one. While getting the car tuned, the guy who owns the shop told me the Genesis has piggybacks offered for it but run into problems. Seems like the ECU kind of fights with the piggyback putting the car into limp mode sometimes. I'm not sure that would happen with a forte, but it's something to keep in mind.