remote starter question.

i might going to put remote starter in my forte

if i install remote starter is warranty still coverd or not?

i was wondering... if warranty still good im going to do it!

but if warranty wont work anymore i wont get it!

so let me know ppl

what yall thinking!!

ootipsyoo said:
i might going to put remote starter in my forte

if i install remote starter is warranty still coverd or not?

i was wondering... if warranty still good im going to do it!

but if warranty wont work anymore i wont get it!

so let me know ppl

what yall thinking!!
The remote start will be covered by the maker. The installation and any collateral damage will be covered by the installer. Anything that stops functioning or is damaged when it is installed will not be covered by Kia. However, if you have a Kia dealer install a Kia remote start, then every thing is covered under the factory warranty.

I had the remote start installed by my dealership. Extra $20/month on the lease. I did it for the same reason mschiavoni said, fully dealer backed.

In hindsight wish I just did it on my own without the dealership's help. ($20/mo * 36mos = $720.00... that's an expensive autostart/alarm)

All -

You can purchase the KIA Factory Remote Start from www.kiaaccessorystore.com for about $300. I know this is more expensive than some other remotes, but let me explain.

I bought this kit from there, and it comes with a VERY detailed installation manual. As I have stated perhaps on this board, and other KIA forums, if you have ever tried to install a radio in the dash of your car (I started back in 1980 with a Chevy Monza coupe), then you have the skillset you need to install this remote. The one thing I would suggest is to get an auto trim tool kit from Harbor Freight for about $8 or so. It really helps getting panels and trim up and out without damaging the plastic clips that hide beneath those panels and trim.

The other nice thing about the factory remote is that the wiring harness has all the appropriate plugs and sockets for you to actually merely plug into the factory wiring harnesses that live behind/beneath the dash and console. You will have to actually make two connections into wiring looms on either footwell pillars, but, as I said, the manual is VERY detailed. I must admit I made a wiring mistake, but I caught it before buttoning up the dash.... I did not carefully look at the color of the wire I attached to, and blindly connected to an incorrect wire. Once I discovered my error, it took about 1 minute to fix, with no harm done.

Besides being a remote with a clear-space range of well past 1000 feet (I was able to start my car a full 2 blocks away from the front of my house while walking my dog), the kit is also an alarm system that protects the engine compartment, the cabin, and the trunk. You can also walk away from the car while its running and take the keys with you. If someone were to smash the window and try to drive the car without the key, the engine-kill circuit will kick in, and they will be dead in the water. Also, you can set the heater or A/C to run after you turn the car off, and the next time you start up, the heater or A/C will come on, giving you a pre-warmed or pre-cooled car! I have used this for both summer and winter now, and I have to say that's probably about the most useful feature of the factory remote start kit.

I installed my remote kit in the beginning of July 2010 when we were having 90-plus degree weather, and I tried to take some photos of what I was doing, so it took me about 5 hours on a Saturday afternoon (what with all that sweat running in my eyes...). So, if you know you're handy with a screwdriver and a wrench, and you want to enhance the appeal of your Forte, as well as its usefulness, I highly recommend the factory kit.

Let's hear what all of you think!

I think that sounds great TeeJay. And since I live in Florida the main reason I'm interested in this is the fact that I can start it up w/ the ac on and not worry about it being accessible to others. Especially those Civic ppl, I think they have it out for me, jealousy I guess ;-) As far as installation goes, I'd have to get it done professionally. I'm bad w/ colors, especially when it comes to wires lol.

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
mdj1281 said:
I had the remote start installed by my dealership. Extra $20/month on the lease. I did it for the same reason mschiavoni said, fully dealer backed.

In hindsight wish I just did it on my own without the dealership's help. ($20/mo * 36mos = $720.00... that's an expensive autostart/alarm)
i'm looking at one for my truck ~$130 with full installation and everything :) its no slouch either. full start/stop, lock/unlock, and tailgate release :)

i can only get it this cheap cuz i have... connections :D

I've been considering installing a Python 991 system in my car. It's two way with temp readout. Also alerts you when the alarm gets set off. Pretty nifty!