Seat belt is soaked with water

GTaylor842

Has anyone else experienced a water leak on the driver's side? From the very first rain after I bought the car, I've noticed that the seat belt was wet. I looked extensively and couldn't see any water running or dripping from anywhere visible. I brought it to the dealer and they changed out the door seal. Yesterday after a heavy rain (yes, I live in Seattle) the entire seat belt was soaked. I pulled it all the way out and it was wet all the way to the bottom. Now it's starting to smell like mold and my carpet is getting wet. The passenger side is completely dry so I'm hesitant to believe it's the sunroof that's leaking. It's at the dealer again today. Any experience or suggestions?

Greg

Matemorh

GTaylor842 said:
Has anyone else experienced a water leak on the driver's side? From the very first rain after I bought the car, I've noticed that the seat belt was wet. I looked extensively and couldn't see any water running or dripping from anywhere visible. I brought it to the dealer and they changed out the door seal. Yesterday after a heavy rain (yes, I live in Seattle) the entire seat belt was soaked. I pulled it all the way out and it was wet all the way to the bottom. Now it's starting to smell like mold and my carpet is getting wet. The passenger side is completely dry so I'm hesitant to believe it's the sunroof that's leaking. It's at the dealer again today. Any experience or suggestions?

Greg
Maybe a disconected sunroof drain. Next rain forcast seal (with Zip or any removable sealer) the sunroof. That way you'll know!

ItsaRuck!

Others have reported the fact that there are no rain deflectors on the roof around the doors. Hence, when you open the door when it's raining, water runs into the car. I suggest you start paying close attention when you open the door to see if water is running off the roof and into the seatbelt area.

fas93

Yeah the window glass might not be making contact with the water tight seal. Thus, leaving a gap open where water can seep in. I had the same problem and went to my dealer, and they fixed it no prob. DONE.

O_Danny_Boy

GTaylor842 said:

Greg

Very possible for it to be a clogged or loose sunroof drain, also how is the adjustment on the sunroof? Is the glass level with the roof on all corners? Any damp spots on the headliner?

GTaylor842

Brought it in again. They looked at it, adjusted the glass and called it good. Brought it home and after the first rain the seatbelt was soaked again. Now it's at the shop for the 3rd time. The seatbelt is mildewed now. The shop has admitted that they have no idea what to do next. I'm concerned about the constant exposure to the wetness on the rest of the interior. Trying to remain patient, but getting frustrated now. As far as where the water appears to come from... The headliner is dry, the side moldings are dry, the floor with the exception of directly below the seatbelt is dry. The exposed seatbelt portion is dry, but the portion that is rolled into the retractor is completely soaked. The technicians stated that they had stripped the interior out and sprayed water directly on the window seal. They noticed water leaking in through the seal only when under direct pressure. The water was running along the exterior panel and down directly into the retractor part of the seatbelt. However, when I'm driving in the rain I don't notice any water accumulation. I seem to notice it the most when the car sits for a few days over the weekend and I get in it on Monday morning. The sunroof is completely flush with the rest of the roof panel. I will ask them to check the sunroof drain.

Thanks,

Greg

Tonydiamond

GTaylor842 said:

Greg

I was surprised today to find my driver side seatbt soaked as well. This is the fist rain since I have had the car only a week. Have they ever rectified your water problems Greg? I will be calling the dealer today as well

GTaylor842

Tonydiamond said:
I was surprised today to find my driver side seatbt soaked as well. This is the fist rain since I have had the car only a week. Have they ever rectified your water problems Greg? I will be calling the dealer today as well

Yes, they appear to have fixed it. Don't know what was the final solution though. They adjusted the window in the track, took nearly the entire interior out to check for the origin of the leak and dry it all out, checked all the sunroof drains and replaced the door seal. Finally, they used a black RTV to seal the door seal to the frame and also around all the sunroof drains and some other interior seals. They stated that they didn't see any leaks in those areas but wanted to give the RTV a try. So far, over a week of steady rain and I'm still dry. Scary when I picked up the car when they said it was finally ready. I went to put on the seatbelt and the attaching bolt was only held on with a few threads and the whole seatbelt came loose at the floor attachment. Of course it was 5:30pm so no one with a tool box was left at the dealership. I drove it home and tightened down the seatbelt myself.

spot4705

GTaylor842 said:
Still no new water leaking after a few weeks. Looks like the RTV and multiple adjustments did the trick.

Greg

My seatbelt is soaked too. I took it in and they gave me the standard " can't recreate the problem." Can you tell me the dealer you took it to? I can have my dealer call them. Thanks.

GTaylor842

spot4705 said:
My seatbelt is soaked too. I took it in and they gave me the standard " can't recreate the problem." Can you tell me the dealer you took it to? I can have my dealer call them. Thanks.

My dealer is Hoover Kia in Bremerton, WA. I have done a lot of experimenting since my last reply. I owned a Kia Spectra prior to my Forte. I used to drive with the window opened a crack to help the air circulate and keep all the windows from getting fogged. I experience fogged windows in my Forte too. I've learned that if there is any moisture at all, it will run directly into the pillar where the seatbelt is and soak it. Even a tiny crack will let in a stream of water. With the RTV on the bolts and never opening my window with any water, my seatbelt is dry. I never experienced this with my spectra. I think I'm going to buy some window vent covers so I can open my windows.

spot4705

I took my Koup in again last weekend. It was raining and once agin seatbelt was wet. And of course the guy that works on the seals isn't in on a Sat. Nice kid was in the office though and confirmed the seal on the drivers door was bad. They ordered me a new seal and it's scheduled for service on Wed. Hope this does the trick. I'll post the results next week.

Good Idea on the Vents. I was thinking about that too. The Wife told me I was Ghettoing up my car when I tinted the windows. I can hear it now when I put those on! lol. Thanks GTaylor. I'll Have my Dealer call yours!

Dbracks

Okay, for the past year I've been wondering why my car has been smelling pretty bad. I couldn't figure it out. I've been spending money on air fresheners, getting my car cleaned, and so forth. Turns out my car on the passengers side has been leaking for PROBABLY over a year or more!! I saw FOUR INCHES of water in my backseat. OH MY GOD, and my mom looked in the backseat I have mold growing ALL in my car. Kia won't give me a loan car and just wants to fix the problem. I'm not going back in that car with the mold. Any one else having this problem? :mad:

GTaylor842

After a year now, I've determined one thing... All of the work they did to adjust the window and change out the seals did nothing. I found that if you drive with the window down even the slightest bit during rain the water is siphoned directly into the seat belt reel/back seat area. I like to crack the window open a bit to circulate air occasionally and found that even during a light mist, the water leaking through is enough to soak the seatbelt. Even if there appears to be no water coming in the window, the channel where the window seals to the back pillar is funneling the collected water into the back seat area.

I never have my window open even the slightest bit now in any wet weather and don't have a problem. I did find that I can pop open the sunroof a bit and not have any issues as long as I'm driving above 35mph.

G

G-113170

Greg
Yes I’m having this problem and it’s not going away. Did you get any answers to fix it?