Sirius Radio Issues

sdemun

Hi All;
I have the new Forte EX bought it last Saturday and I love it!  Except for one thing.  The Sirius radio option displays a screen that says Loading Sirius and stays on that screen for as long as I leave the radio set to SAT mode.  I have called the Sirius people as well as KIA and they are no help.  They want the ESN of the radio which I can find by tuning to channel zero.  Except I can't tune to channel zero because the radio is frozen on the screen that says loading sirius.  I have seen in forums that there is a firmware update that can be done via a thumb drive and the USB port.  However, I am unable to figure out where to get this update.  Does anyone know where to get the firmware update for this radio, or possibly who the manufacturer of the radio itself is so that I can contact them about a possible firmware update?
Thanks

sdemun

Sorry about the multiple posts of this topic, I kept receiving an error message when trying to post it so I thought that it didn't post.  It wasn't until I decided to post my question under one of the existing topics that I saw my topic had posted three times :(

A

admin

It's okay.. No problem at all.. And welcome!

Kia is no help? This is part of the car you just purchased. Kia MUST address the problem at no cost to you (unless you somehow broke it). Don't take no for an answer. I'm not even sure what you mean when you state that Kia is of no help. They can't just leave you on your own here. You purchased the car from them - it's their product - and they need to fix it. Immediately..

Call them back or go to the dealership where you purchased your car and tell us what happens...

jfiglio1

Here's another issue on this topic (Sirius).  I called to ask if the Sirius radio in my new Forte EX is capable of receiving the Best of XM package and was told "no".  Disappointing?  Yes.  But also surprising given that this is a 2010 model and the merger has been in place long enough for Kia/Sirius to retrofit their vehicles with more capable receivers.

Or do I have inaccurate information?  Has anyone else posed this question to Sirius?  They asked for my receiver's SID and this is what the Sirius told me.  

jfiglio1

More on the Sirius packages availability.

If one presses "Categories" <CAT> on the stereo while in Sat mode, scrolling through them one comes to "Best of XM" as one of the choices.  Now I'm really confused.  I wonder if Sirius is telling me that "Sirius Everything" is my only option during the 3 month free period.  Both people I spoke to had moderately heavy accented English.  Wonder where I was actually calling.

I think this mystery is going to remain for a while.  ;D

vizunary

Texas
@ausman, that is strange, the receivers shouldn't have any problem receiving the XM, especially with available firmware updates. I'm not sure you got correct info, have you tried their website?

jfiglio1

The website is silent on this issue.  But, like you, I think their info to me has to be wrong.  What they were probably trying to tell me is that I had no option other than the Sirius Everything package during the 3 month trial period.  There would be no other explanation for having "Best of XM" as a category choice on the radio.

So, we'll see in January.  In the meantime, I'll e-mail (instead of calling) Sirius customer service and see if I get a different answer.

Thanks for your help!  Car is absolutely great by the way.

jfiglio1

Received this today from Sirius.  Odd syntax.

"We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us regarding your brand new 2010 Kia Forte EX if it's compatible on your radio for the package of Best of XM, we regret to inform you that it is not compatible on your radio, we already checked.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may caused you.

We are committed to providing you with the best in customer care.  If
you have any more questions, please feel free to contact SIRIUS Customer Care.  

Sincerely,

Pam Z
SIRIUS Customer Care"

jve

have you gotten the loading message issue resolved yet? if not, go to the dealer and let them know
what is going on. one of their techs SHOULD have a jump drive with the needed update. if u have one at home, wouldnt help to take it with you in case. that should take care of the loading issue.
as far as the best of xm, i would wait until ur trial is up and when u call to subscribe, ask the rep oevr the phone about it.

jfiglio1

I should update this, since I brought it up...

Turns out you have to wait until Sirius sends you a "welcome" packet about 3-4 weeks after you purchase your vehicle. At that point, you get your username and password and can go online to immediately change and/or extend your subscription. Since I have no interest in Stern, Playboy Radio or Opie and Anthony, I opted for Family Friendly plus Best of XM for the remainder of the free three month subscription. That required me to pay the difference--$4.96--for that period. Once the three month period is coming to an end, I'll decide what to do then as I already have another account. Will likely transfer an existing subscription to the Kia account.

jfiglio1

vizunary said:
so you can get the best of xm, that's good. can you still get a lifetime subscription for a few hundred bucks?
Yeah, but in my opinion it's not worth it. The car might last longer than Sirius! :D