Sub Enclosure?

FydaForte

Sacramento
Wondering what people have? just boxes? i want some custom side boxes so i can utilize space, have a cool look, and be custom..

But when custom comes in.. expensive comes in as well!!

SOOO
Pics? Links? Post away!

FydaForte

Sacramento
I really want some side boxes... i think they look good.. and save space in a way! i dont know tho.. they prob lack in acoustic's but i wouldnt know!

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Elizabeth, PA
FydaForte said:
?? 6" wide? no kidding? what are you running? deck? Amp? Sub?
lets see... factory head unit, Rockford Fostgate wiring kit, Legacy 500W RMS Amp powering a 400W Memphis 10" competition series sub...

and i meant 6" thick/deep, my bad...

D113

[hr]
FydaForte said:
I really want some side boxes... i think they look good.. and save space in a way! i dont know tho.. they prob lack in acoustic's but i wouldnt know!
The only potential issue with side boxes is that if they are on-axis to each other (directly firing at each other,) common physics suggest that their signals which are in-phase to each would cancel each other out. Now in practice this doesn't happen due to many other variables but you could in fact end up with a massive loss in SPL as a result. To combat this, many people angle their subs in side boxes to try and negate the phase cancellation and in fact try and get a "coupling" effect. The box I have in my trunk loses half it's output when I put my Rubbermaid roadside-bin and emergency blanket in my trunk. (partially because of less volume, but also it's likely more related to the mysteries of a sub in a trunk. One can take the same single sealed enclosure and move it around their trunk and get massively different results from the same hardware.

FydaForte

Sacramento
I figured they would compete with each other just wasnt too sure for how much! i want beat but i like my space! in my focus i had 2 different setup's 1 15" Solobaric L7 with a 1400w on it! took that out and got 2 10"Kenwood excelons and i swear on everything when i say that box gave me 1" of space on each side of my trunk.. for 10's they were the loudest setup i have ever heard... i just drove around having to put EVERYTHING in the back seat! and i hated that[hr]
Chia! What kind of amp are you using with the factory HU? a speaker tap amp?

D113

FydaForte said:
I figured they would compete with each other just wasnt too sure for how much! i want beat but i like my space! in my focus i had 2 different setup's 1 15" Solobaric L7 with a 1400w on it! took that out and got 2 10"Kenwood excelons and i swear on everything when i say that box gave me 1" of space on each side of my trunk.. for 10's they were the loudest setup i have ever heard... i just drove around having to put EVERYTHING in the back seat! and i hated that[hr]
Give this a good read:

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/a...99-d113s-audio-system-overhaul-phase-3-a.html

if you get an error, copy and paste this: (just add www. in front)
forteforums.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/199-d113s-audio-system-overhaul-phase-3-a.html

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Elizabeth, PA
FydaForte said:
im going to tap the RCAs to the speaker signal wire and run them to the amp. did it w my 2010 corolla i traded in nd it worked fine! :)

and ill be using a run-of-the-mill Legacy 500W amp

FydaForte

Sacramento
Ive never seen that done before? how does it work?

Does it make the speaker you tapped more quiet?
What kind of hardware is used for that?

Sounds cool! especially cause i just want to add a LIL bit of beat...
and i really like my stock HU!

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Elizabeth, PA
FydaForte said:

works really good!

wire strippers (dont cut the wire) and electrical tape

me too
the bold are MY replies ;)

D113

FydaForte said:

D113: It doesn't make your speakers more quiet. You can do this if you amp has high-level inputs. The only negative is that your voltage isn't adjustable for cleaning up the signal.

mschiavoni

Purveyor of fine Kias
Elizabeth, PA
D113 said:
D113: It doesn't make your speakers more quiet. You can do this if you amp has high-level inputs. The only negative is that your voltage isn't adjustable for cleaning up the signal.
i just exposed the wire, wrapped the RCA around it and wrapped it w electrical tape ;)

D113

mschiavoni said:
i just exposed the wire, wrapped the RCA around it and wrapped it w electrical tape ;)
Careful! IF that's all you did and you didn't keep track of the polarity, you could be running an out-of-phase signal to your sub.

D