USB flash drive problems

chuckh1958

USB flash drive probems

Is it just me or is anyone else having problems with flash drives that they put into the Kia Forte? I've had my Forte for just over a month and have gone through 2 flash drives already. They work for a few weeks then I start seeing strange things like not all of my folders showing up in the Forte. When I move the flash drive to a PC, they are all there. Then eventually the flash drive will no longer work anywhere. Can't write to it, reformat it, nothing. Sometimes I can read from it on a PC and other times I can't.

These were good brand name flash drives like SAN Disk and Kingston, bought from reputable sources, and even tested with Check Flash.

I'm just wondering if it's me or has anyone else had this happen to them?

chuckh1958

RE: USB flash drive probems

One the first one - no, it was never left plugged into the usb port when I started the car, nor was it left in a hot car.

One the second one - yes, on both counts.

MFury

I haven't had any issues with my flash drive left in the car for 7 months now. I never unplug it unless I am going to load more songs on it. Once it did stop playing songs and just displayed "Reading USB" so I had to turn off the ignition and start it back up to get it working again.

ItsaRuck!

Albuquerque, NM

chuckh1958 said:
One the first one - no, it was never left plugged into the usb port when I started the car, nor was it left in a hot car.

One the second one - yes, on both counts.
I'm thinking it's a radio issue. I'd discuss it with the dealer. It sure doesn't seem like it's the flash drive since it keeps happening with everyone you use.

Kenny C

Lubbock, TX

It says in the manual to not leave the drives plugged in while turning the car on or off, as could fry the drive...I'm paraphrasing here...just to be clear.

flarkitkf

ZA
I've had one flash-drive behaving strangely, where a certain track would play half-way and then stop, even after replacing the flash-drive. But the rest of the songs were fine and all other flash-drives work 100%.

I'd report this issue to the dealership ASAP

chuckh1958

Sounds like corruption in the mp3 file if it happens on multiple flash drives. In my case, for one of the drives, I think it may have been damaged by leaving it in the usb port while the car was being started. The manual says not to do that but I didn't think it would be a problem and leaving it in is the only way for the Forte to "remember" where it left off playing.

The manual says it's "USB not ESA". Anyone know what ESA stands for in this context? Does it have something to do with protecting the drive against power surges?

ItsaRuck!

Albuquerque, NM
chuckh1958 said:
Sounds like corruption in the mp3 file if it happens on multiple flash drives. In my case, for one of the drives, I think it may have been damaged by leaving it in the usb port while the car was being started. The manual says not to do that but I didn't think it would be a problem and leaving it in is the only way for the Forte to "remember" where it left off playing.

The manual says it's "USB not ESA". Anyone know what ESA stands for in this context? Does it have something to do with protecting the drive against power surges?
ESA=Enthusiast System Architecture

ESA Certification Requirements

MFury

Maybe a bad grounding issue?

I read about not leaving the usb plugged in but after a few tests I never had an issue so since the drives are dirt cheap I don't really care and won't remember to unplug it each time I use the car anyways.

desert fox

45-48degrees celcius outside temp and leaving my Drive plugged in....never encounter any problem

:huh:

chuckh1958

Wow! You must truly be a desert fox. I don't think the outside temperature here has gotten above 101F/38C.

I contacted the ebay seller I bought the drive from and he's sending me a replacement. This time I am going to be sure to unplug it every time I turn the car on. Just wish there was some way of having it remember where it left off when I do that. I get tired of hearing Aerosmith every single time :). If it happens again, I'm definitely reporting it when I take the Forte in for it's first checkup.

desert fox

chuckh1958 said:
Wow! You must truly be a desert fox. I don't think the outside temperature here has gotten above 101F/38C.

I contacted the ebay seller I bought the drive from and he's sending me a replacement. This time I am going to be sure to unplug it every time I turn the car on. Just wish there was some way of having it remember where it left off when I do that. I get tired of hearing Aerosmith every single time :). If it happens again, I'm definitely reporting it when I take the Forte in for it's first checkup.
Thats true and sometimes if theres high humidity, you dont want to go out.......you know what, i noticed that the pipes of the AC system on the engine bay of our Forte was not insulated.....So i DIY it and it helps a lot to increase the AC...(you dont need to do that in your place...lucky you.....:cool:

Well, about your case, the dealer is the right place for your headache...

It feels great to drive a nice car with nice music right?

Goodluck to you bro....:)[hr]
MFury said:
Maybe a bad grounding issue?

I read about not leaving the usb plugged in but after a few tests I never had an issue so since the drives are dirt cheap I don't really care and won't remember to unplug it each time I use the car anyways.
same here bro....no issue at all....

Only I want to hear green green grass of home and i dont have it in my drive....

Sun and the beach!!!! :D jk.

flarkitkf

ZA
I also tend to leave the flash-drive plugged in, since I often listen to 90min mixes and having to restart every time I drove, would be pretty irritating. Luckily so far though, I've had no further issues.

I hope you can resolve the issue chuckh.

Bing

chuckh1958 said:
Is it just me or is anyone else having problems with flash drives that they put into the Kia Forte? I've had my Forte for just over a month and have gone through 2 flash drives already. They work for a few weeks then I start seeing strange things like not all of my folders showing up in the Forte. When I move the flash drive to a PC, they are all there. Then eventually the flash drive will no longer work anywhere. Can't write to it, reformat it, nothing. Sometimes I can read from it on a PC and other times I can't.

These were good brand name flash drives like SAN Disk and Kingston, bought from reputable sources, and even tested with Check Flash.

I'm just wondering if it's me or has anyone else had this happen to them?
I just bought a Forte EX , and everytime I try to run my Zune player w/ the usb cable its says reading data for a few, then says data is unreadable. Any ideas how to get it to work? I had a Ford Focus w/ sync and it worked every time flawlessly, so I know it is not my Zune player. Any help would be greatly appreciated. =)

ItsaRuck!

Albuquerque, NM

Bing said:
I just bought a Forte EX , and everytime I try to run my Zune player w/ the usb cable its says reading data for a few, then says data is unreadable. Any ideas how to get it to work? I had a Ford Focus w/ sync and it worked every time flawlessly, so I know it is not my Zune player. Any help would be greatly appreciated. =)
If I'm not mistaken, the USB is for using a thumb drive as a source for MP3s. If you want to use the Zune, you need to connect the Zune audio out to the Aux input on the dash. I use my $14 thumb drive loaded with MP3s, and it works great.

Bing

ItsaRuck! said:
If I'm not mistaken, the USB is for using a thumb drive as a source for MP3s. If you want to use the Zune, you need to connect the Zune audio out to the Aux input on the dash. I use my $14 thumb drive loaded with MP3s, and it works great.
Hi Brad ok tks for the tip, 1 thing becuae I'm a tech moron. So u are sayign I need to buy another cord? All that came w/ the zune is a usb cord. UGH I hate when I have no clue.