Using the Bluetooth

TisMyFORTE

As of 6 days ago i now am a proud owner of a Forte EX (Bronze Metalic Stone is so sexy) but the dealership representative that goes over all the buttons on the car and tells you how to use the features was uncertain on how to load the phone contacts in to your phone once the bluetooth connection had been established. Some one also told me that you can manually add contacts and the car has some kind of memory system to hold your contacts. Does anyone else know how to do these things or what amazing features the bluetooth allows me to utilize?  

A

admin

Hi there! Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up...

I have a feeling some things are going to change via updates to the software as time goes on.. For now, the address book downloads from your phone every time you start it up.. So each time you get in, the bluetooth is supposed to download your address book/contacts.. Is this not working for you? If not, than there's a possibility that your phone is not supported..

On another note - some people are complaining because the way the system works - once you're finished with your call - the system re-downloads the address book again - which keeps you from making another call until the process is completed...

tm0935

Dialing numbers is easy with the Bluetooth accessory; however, how do I CALL a number. Am I supposed to program the voice recognition on the car or cell phone?

A

admin

Hi Tony.. You shouldn't have to program the voice recognition system to place a call... Can anyone else chime in here?

RayThom

Drexel Hill
Re: VOICE RECOGNITION

I haven't found a need to program anything voice related. Once I'm connected and hit the command button everything works fine. I've tested this with my daughter, my brother, and a few of my friends and in each case the call went through 'almost' effortlessly.

If there's any programming needed I certainly don't know about it. Anyone else?  

fenterspooner

Once I paired my BlackBerry with the car, it automatically downloaded my contacts. It is the easiest Bluetooth integration that I have ever used in a car.

It was so intuitive that I didn't read any of the manuals for it. Just hit the button and said call XXX on their mobile or call XXX at home or call XXX at work. I need to clean up and add some more contacts now.

rstp72

I'm having some problems with the Bluetooth , people can't hear me very well
does any one else have this problem?
may be a software update will fix that , I'm using a Sanyo Katana LX

mpaterso

I'm also having problems on my brand new 2010 Forte EX - I have a Blackberry Bold phone, I have no problem hearing the other person on the bluetooth, but they have problems hearing me - almost always. They tell me I sound distant, or there is static.

Another data point - I have rented 2 different Forte's from Hertz on 2 different business trips; I paired and used the same phone on those cars and had absolutely no problem - used it very extensively for business conversations.

So there must be something wrong with my car's bluetooth. I took it to my dealer, Napleton Kia in Elmhurst, IL; they immediately tested it and confirmed the problem. This incident was the first they had heard of this problem. They said the car is so new, they don't have schematic diagrams for the systems yet. They made a call to tech support in California to investigate further. I am hoping for a quick fix, but my instinct tells me there is a wiring problem from the car's bluetooth microphone to the unit itself. This could be more difficult to fix?

I will update on the outcome.

mpaterso1

mpaterso said:
I'm also having problems on my brand new 2010 Forte EX - I have a Blackberry Bold phone, I have no problem hearing the other person on the bluetooth, but they have problems hearing me - almost always. They tell me I sound distant, or there is static.

Another data point - I have rented 2 different Forte's from Hertz on 2 different business trips; I paired and used the same phone on those cars and had absolutely no problem - used it very extensively for business conversations.

So there must be something wrong with my car's bluetooth. I took it to my dealer, Napleton Kia in Elmhurst, IL; they immediately tested it and confirmed the problem. This incident was the first they had heard of this problem. They said the car is so new, they don't have schematic diagrams for the systems yet. They made a call to tech support in California to investigate further. I am hoping for a quick fix, but my instinct tells me there is a wiring problem from the car's bluetooth microphone to the unit itself. This could be more difficult to fix?

I will update on the outcome.
Not sure why my account got "banned" - ???

Anyway I created a new one. Any replies to my problem would be much appreciated. Thanks

mpaterso1

Update: no problem found on my bluetooth, the dealer tech paired it to his cell phone with no problem in outbound sound quality. Frustrating, because my phone worked fine on other Forte's I had as rental cars. I will try to see if I can change any of my phone settings (I have a BB Bold), and stay tuned for any Forte service bulletins that update the bluetooth.

vizunary

Texas
@gryphon, I think that depends on how your phone's phonebook is setup I don't believe you can change the option in the bluetooth device, be it the car or a headset.

@tm0935, do you mean how to call a number instead of a contact? just hit the BT button and say "dial" and she'll ask for the number, for a contact say "dial (contact's name)" and she'll confirm it.

btw, my mic isn't working, no one can hear me, anyone else have any problems?

rstp72

Yo Viz ,Congrats on the car , better late then never , right? :D
My BT Mic works too good , it's set to very LOUD and I have to whisper for people to hear me , otherwise they think that I'm yelling , I have been looking for a setting either on my phone or the car's BT but no success so far :mad:
very annoying , 'cause I really love :heart: the hands free calling capability on the car , may be a fix in the upcoming software fix :huh:

Manitobaforte

Having the same problem with EX. Sounds great on my end but people complain of to much background noise. People have asked me if I'm standing outside in the middle of a busy street. Hopefully it's a software problem and not hardware.

vizunary

Texas
Manitobaforte said:
Having the same problem with EX. Sounds great on my end but people complain of to much background noise. People have asked me if I'm standing outside in the middle of a busy street. Hopefully it's a software problem and not hardware.
that's exactly my prob. i can hear everyone else, but they complain of everything, from garble to static to an echo of themselves. i'll address it again whenever i take it in. i need them to fix my drvr side rear seat latch anyways, with just a soft pull it will come loose and fold forward, you know for the 60/40 folding rear seats. this can't be right, in an accident, someone sitting there would get fubared.

vizunary said:
@gryphon, I think that depends on how your phone's phonebook is setup I don't believe you can change the option in the bluetooth device, be it the car or a headset.
I was afraid of that response. I have an iPhone and can change how the phonebook sorts/reads contacts, but nothing gives. Even deleted the partnership, changed it, re-paired, but it remains the same. Not a huge deal, it'd just be nice to be able to say First Last name instead of Last, First. Any other iPhone users able to figure anything out?

dcady

GrYph0n said:
vizunary said:
I was afraid of that response. I have an iPhone and can change how the phonebook sorts/reads contacts, but nothing gives. Even deleted the partnership, changed it, re-paired, but it remains the same. Not a huge deal, it'd just be nice to be able to say First Last name instead of Last, First. Any other iPhone users able to figure anything out?

For iPhone users you will need to change both the sort AND display order under 'Settings.....Mail, Contacts, Calendars....Contacts'

Just changed mine and it's working fine.

-DC

Silversport

Have a soul also had problems from the start. keeps repeating (down load complet )
( connection complet ). Dealer replaced radio setup.
Forte has a good set up but like some say you hear them but they don't hear you well.
Think I saw some where that you need a external ant. ?????? for better reception.and transmission.

dcady

Silversport said:
Have a soul also had problems from the start. keeps repeating (down load complet )
Forte has a good set up but like some say you hear them but they don't hear you well.
Think I saw some where that you need a external ant. ?????? for better reception.and transmission.
Unfortunately the problem is inherent to the placement of the BT microphone is both units. In the Soul it is placed right above the driver's head. On the Forte it is there too (albeit I think placed a little bit more towards the side of the vehicle).

So a lot of the sound transmission problems are due to seating adjustment (I think....I have no sources for this info). I believe the farther back from the steering wheel, the better your voice will transmit to the person you are speaking too.

As well due to the interior design of the Soul, the person on the other end of the call will hear more cabin noise.

YMMV.

-DC

vizunary

Texas
Silversport said:
the external antenna is so that your cell antenna doesn't interfere with the car's electronics, causing loss of vehicle control and go boom!

they said the same thing if you have a portable radio, not sure why you'd have an additional radio in the car, but....