Yes, the SX can tow a small camper

markcasazza

I have an SX with a 6 speed. I found it odd that the car is hitch ready yet has no towing specs published.

I put on a class II hitch and tried it with a utility trailer. I had no problem hauling 2000 lb of concrete. So I bought a pop up camper that is 1,400 pounds empty. The car pulls it just fine, although the tongue weight needs to be watched. The extra stiff "sport" suspension and a camper are not the best match, but it works. I just got back from a 300 mile round trip where the camper probably weighted close to 1600 pounds and cargo and passengers in the car were another 600 pounds. The only "problem" was that using cruise and 6th gear would have nothing to do with the slightest incline at 69MPH. Picture attached.

Anyone else try a towing package?

Attachments

desert fox

markcasazza said:
I have an SX with a 6 speed. I found it odd that the car is hitch ready yet has no towing specs published.

I put on a class II hitch and tried it with a utility trailer. I had no problem hauling 2000 lb of concrete. So I bought a pop up camper that is 1,400 pounds empty. The car pulls it just fine, although the tongue weight needs to be watched. The extra stiff "sport" suspension and a camper are not the best match, but it works. I just got back from a 300 mile round trip where the camper probably weighted close to 1600 pounds and cargo and passengers in the car were another 600 pounds. The only "problem" was that using cruise and 6th gear would have nothing to do with the slightest incline at 69MPH. Picture attached.

Anyone else try a towing package?
Nice...and let me welcome you to KFF......:)

MFury

The Forte manual states:
"E14000ABH We do not recommend using this
vehicle for trailer towing."

So you probably won't find the recommended towing capacity.

CorsaKoup

Since they recommend against it, you'd best be prepared to remove the trailer hitch if you need any drivetrain warranty work done. DENY is on the tips of their tongues at Kia dealerships.

markcasazza

CorsaKoup said:
Since they recommend against it, you'd best be prepared to remove the trailer hitch if you need any drivetrain warranty work done. DENY is on the tips of their tongues at Kia dealerships.
Agreed! Why would they put the threaded connections in the frame? I know, they had a change in design. I also find it surprising that the after-market made a hitch before they made "ventvisors". My dealership has been a pleasure to work with so far, but we will see.

airah18

I tried a towing package but I have not yet try the SX which you say that it can tow a small camper. And as I look the picture attached to your post, I think it really towed very well. I hope you already solve your problem with your utility trailer.

KoupCoupe

markcasazza said:
Agreed! Why would they put the threaded connections in the frame? I know, they had a change in design. I also find it surprising that the after-market made a hitch before they made "ventvisors". My dealership has been a pleasure to work with so far, but we will see.
I think those were either manufacturing holding points or shipping mount points...the trailer hitch companies just make their hitches to fit to those points.

Kenny C

Lubbock, TX
KoupCoupe said:
I think those were either manufacturing holding points or shipping mount points...the trailer hitch companies just make their hitches to fit to those points.
Agreed. :read:

Would be cool to install a hitch for trips and have one of the expanded metal "baskets" to hold an ice chest or whatever.

jaybob217

I had Uhaul install a hitch on my 2010 Koup and now it rattles really bad on my exhaust. Uhaul say's it's Kia's fault and Kia doesn't even want to look at it. Anyone else have this problem?

Chadd

I put a hitch on my Forte Sedan and towed a small enclosed trailer almost 2000 miles. I kept it in manual shift and left it in 5th gear on the highway and had to downshift to go up even a small hill.